Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) Tire Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: (2009) Tire Thread

(2009) Tire Thread

It’s time to spark a debate on everyone’s favorite topic. Since no one has mentioned anything about tires yet this year, I’ll start. This is a list of all the relevant tires that I believe should be competitive in each class. I might have missed one or two, but I think I got most of them.

Showroom tires 210+ rating (for NCC S# class):
    Whatever is on your car, maybe these-
    Continental ContiSportContact 2
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
    Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

“Street” tires 140+ rating (for NCC T# class):
    Bridgestone RE-01R
    Bridgestone RE-11
    Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
    Falken Azenis RT-615
    Federal 595RS-R
    Hankook RS-2
    Hankook RS-3
    Kumho MX
    Kumho XS
    Kumho SPT (wet)
    Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra
    Nitto NT05
    Toyo R1R
    Yokohama Advan Neova AD07
    Yokohama Advan Neova AD08

DOT-R tires (for NCC M# class):
    Avon Tech R-A
    BFGoodrich g-Force R1
    Hoosier A6
    Hoosier Radial Wet
    Hoosier R6
    Kumho V700
    Kumho V710
    Kumho Victoracer
    Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
    Nitto NT01
    Toyo R888
    Yokohama Advan A048

I think running an auto convertible should get me an extra 10 rating for free, just sayin'.

Reports I'm hearing are that the Kumho XS is the current tire to have for ST classes, although we will see what the Advan AD08s will do. I'm running the XS presently, and they have a very impressive feel. I'll know more in two weeks when I've run them at Fedex.

Of the showroom tires, the PS2 is a clear "winner," although the cost is so absurdly high and the resistance to cording at the edges so low that I would rather spend the extra money on classing up.

As for R-tires, Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710. The 710 will last a lot longer for almost the same performance.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I dunno nick. The Toyo R1R looks to be an insane tire for ST. It's almost certainly the best tire to have for rain, no matter what class you're in. Look at Ian's times from the AI event Saturday--he was the only one on the R1R. I'm even considering them for SP rains over hoosier since I don't care about the contingency.
    The RE-11 is also a killer ST tire.

National winners for R-comps will be running the A6 as it is significantly lighter than the 710, and definitely quicker, but it doesn't last as long.

One big thing is who makes a tire that's the right size.

Everything I hear about the R1R is that it's not good on heavy cars. Otherwise, I would have seriously considered it. Sadly, an '89 CRX Si doesn't help refute that.

Edit: That said, the R1R is, I suspect, a much better street tire. The Kumho XS has the road feel of some frankensteinian combination of an RA-1 and a Hoosier.
    Last edited by Nick325xiT 5spd; 04-14-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    The Kumho XS has the road feel of some frankensteinian combination of an RA-1 and a Hoosier.
    RRT is putting the finishing touches on a Z3 M Coupe for this year's One Lap that will be running the Kumho XS - 265/40-18 front and 315/30-18 rear as I recall.
    Those big tires will be needed to handle the 600+ hp turbo 2.8 engine.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    RRT is putting the finishing touches on a Z3 M Coupe for this year's One Lap that will be running the Kumho XS - 265/40-18 front and 315/30-18 rear as I recall.
    Yeah, those XS's are mean!

I have to gawk at one of my co-workers cars every time he brings it to work. Cobra Rep (~500 hp) with 315's in the front and 335's in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Turbo 2.8 eh, interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on it during the One Lap of A.
    T2

Anyone hear much about the Nitto NT-05 yet? I've been reading some fantastic reviews of them online, but there is some kind of 'too good to be true' feeling about them, like they are planted reviews.

Would likely be going for a square set of 265's on my M3 later this summer, and I haven't figured out what to run for ax+street duty.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Nitto Nt-05, Bridgestone RE-11, Kumho XS, Yokohama Neova AD-08, etc. . . . . .all of these new "Ultra Performance Street Tires" are so new to the market I don't think any one has the handle on which will be better for autocross, track, rain, longevity, etc. And will any of them top last year's darlings such as the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec or Bridgestone Re-01R. I believe the next issue of Grassroots Motorsports promises to have a comparison test.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

As Woody mentioned, it's likely we won't have a clear answer for you for another 2-3 months. Most of these tires just hit the street in March, so we're learning each week.

I think the Nitto NT05 could be a great option if it has similar characteristics to the NT01r-comp. However, from pure speculation, I think the Kumho, Bridgestone, Yokohama and Dunlops will be the favorites in 2009. I've heard the same things as Nick about the Toyos.

The RE01R was never well regarded (except as a nice compromise for comfort as well as price). It wasn't even close to the AD07.

I bought a set of Nitto Invos last week and can't yet make up my mind. Switching from pilot sports (which were a few years past their prime) I notice a much quieter ride and very sticky. I only have 250 miles +/- ,so it could get better or worse. One bad thing, the response is slow. The tires seem to have soft sidewalls and steering input is delayed. I noticed too much steering correction because I'm used to a little faster response. Those fun back road turns became more of a chore than joy. It may be I just need to adapt to a new type of tire. I can say this, when I would over correct, the car would turn that much harder without losing control. That would lead me to believe it's the driver. One more thing, high speed made me nervous. At 90+ the car feels like it's floating too much. BTW, I have a '01 M Roaster. There's already enough flex in the body, I need a tire that is stiffer on the turns. Bottom line is, when driving sensibly these tires are great. Trying any race like driving becomes a little scary. These are street tires not race tires, and according to the Nitto website these are as good as the NT05.

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    I bought a set of Nitto Invos last week and can't yet make up my mind. Switching from pilot sports (which were a few years past their prime) I notice a much quieter ride and very sticky. I only have 250 miles +/- ,so it could get better or worse. One bad thing, the response is slow. The tires seem to have soft sidewalls and steering input is delayed. I noticed too much steering correction because I'm used to a little faster response. Those fun back road turns became more of a chore than joy. It may be I just need to adapt to a new type of tire. I can say this, when I would over correct, the car would turn that much harder without losing control. That would lead me to believe it's the driver. One more thing, high speed made me nervous. At 90+ the car feels like it's floating too much. BTW, I have a '01 M Roaster. There's already enough flex in the body, I need a tire that is stiffer on the turns. Bottom line is, when driving sensibly these tires are great. Trying any race like driving becomes a little scary. These are street tires not race tires, and according to the Nitto website these are as good as the NT05.
    If you look at the tread pattern, you can see that the Invos are not designed to even be seriously compared to the NT05.

...and the website doesn't even claim that the grip is close.

That said, I wouldn't be looking to Toyo or Nitto (same company) for maximum performance street/autox tires on a BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    If you look at the tread pattern, you can see that the Invos are not designed to even be seriously compared to the NT05.

...and the website doesn't even claim that the grip is close.

That said, I wouldn't be looking to Toyo or Nitto (same company) for maximum performance street/autox tires on a BMW.
    I've always been impressed with Toyo!

Thread Information