Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
New battery ruined my alteernator

Thread: New battery ruined my alteernator

New battery ruined my alteernator

Hello All:
    I replaced my OEM battery with 49DL from Auto zone last week and my car stopped in an interstate on Friday I got it towed to my place, I need your advice before moving forward, I took the battery to the Auto Zone they mentioned that Alternator was bad and car was running only on battery which made it die, What is the Alternator?
    Can I replace it in DIY?
    If yes where should I buy the part OEM or any other suggested after market part?
    If I can replace it how can I drive it from my place to DIY center?
    Is that ok to drive it with fully recharged battery to DIY center?
    How much will that cost?
    If everything is wrong how can I diagnose the actual problem?
    Please help as I am without car.

Thank you,
    Krishna Balam

I read about this in a forum:
    Beware and check you vent pipe is not blocked it you have one!! Not sure if all models have them etc.
    Will that cause the problem I have the pipe which connected the battery was crushed under the new battery might have got closed.

A) Your battery did not ruin your alternator. An alternator is a device that powers your automobile's electrical components and accesories while the car's engine is running. It also keeps your battery fully charged. Your battery only comes into play when your car's engine is not running (i.e., when you are parked with your radio on but the engine is off). Your alternator died, which drained your battery, causing you to replace it with a new battery, which also died because your alternator is bad. You should be able to change your alternator at home with a few tools depending on what BMW model you drive. A Bentley manual ($80) or even a Haynes repair manual ($13) from Auto Zone will show you how to do this. If you attempt to drive to a DIY with a bad alternator you will likely find yourself stranded once again.

B) What is the year and model of your BMW? This information can help greatly with any diagnosis.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Thank you very much..
    I have a 2005 325i e46 with 52k miles on it.

The alternator is not difficult to do yourself. Pelican Parts has a good online guide on how to do it.

Get a rebuilt (remanufactured) OEM unit if you can- it will probably cost a couple hundred, but rebuilt should save you some money. You should be able to buy one at the local auto parts store, or you can order it- Pelican doesn't charge shipping on alternators.

The Bentley or Haynes manuals are a great idea.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

Cool

I've got a Bentley that covers the E46 as one of the bimmers is a 323i. Depending on where you live and when you need the Bentley I could make it avaliable to you to use. Let's me know how you would like someone to help you. I'm free this weekend because I forgot to complete my registration on-time for Auto-X school if this is something you want to pursue.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

I live very near to Tysons Corner, Thank you very much for the support with this club I am not relieved that I can do it, I am actually out of town all this week and will be back next week, I can pick up the manual from you and if you have soemtime next week I will be really happy and grateful to you. Please suggest a place to buy the part.

@MPWR
    Thank you for the help.
    The link seem to be for 3 series till year 2000 will it be same for my car which is a 2005?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kcbxt8 View Post
    I live very near to Tysons Corner, Thank you very much for the support with this club I am not relieved that I can do it, I am actually out of town all this week and will be back next week, I can pick up the manual from you and if you have soemtime next week I will be really happy and grateful to you. Please suggest a place to buy the part.
    Just let me know the time and place you'd like to meet me and I'll arrange to be there. The best place for new parts I found is Partsgeeks.com. They are by far the best prices I've found on-line to date. Let me know if theirs anything else you require.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Thread Information