Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Subframe Bushing DIY Guide

Thread: Subframe Bushing DIY Guide

Subframe Bushing DIY Guide

This is the best list that I've seen ... and follows my procedure when doing them pretty closely ...

• One day prior to doing work, spray lube all fasteners.

• Jack vehicle up as high as safety will allow, place jackstands on proper locations.

• Remove rear wheels, release parking brake.

• Remove bottom screw and the two forward screws from the rear wheel fender liners. Pop forward part of fender liner out to gain access to subframe mounting boles bushings and plate. Watch for the Clip on the bottom screw to fall out. (8mm)

• Place jack stands or screw jacks under rear trailing arms and remove lower shock bolt and Remove brake calipers bolts from trailing arm. Support calipers. (18mm)

• Disconnect speed sensor cable connector from rear differential, release parking brake cable from body clips, release speed sensor cables from clips on trailing arms.

• Remove 2 sway bar to body nuts and free clamps from body (13mm)

• Remove differential to body bolt and nut, be careful of washer on nut side. (19mm)

• Support exhaust and remove forward outboard mount bolt, rear upper muffler to body mounts and forward rubber supports. (14mm)

• Remove 2 rearmost nuts on each side of exhaust heat shield. (10mm)

• Remove air dams from each side just forward of subframe mounts.

• Remove 2 hex head screws on subframe mount to body plates on each side. (6mm hex)

• Remove subframe mount nuts. (22mm)

• Working on one side at a time, pull subframe down low enough to get puller installed and rod threaded fully into top puller nut.

• Be sure to line up the indentions/channels of the tool with the bushing/mount.

• Remove bushing with tool, remember to oil threaded rod.

Note: those instructions are for M coupe & roadster.

E30 version:

remove rear seat bottom
    Raise car & support with jackstands
    remove 2 bolts (hex heads) just forward of subframe bolts on both sides
    remove subframe nuts and retainer plate
    knock bolt up into the car
    swear while trying to get the subframe bushing loose from the chassis
    use tool one side at a time

Notice the lack of other stuff that's not the bushing mounts needing to be removed. They made your life much more complicated Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    This is the best list that I've seen ... and follows my procedure when doing them pretty closely ...
    Credit for the write up goes to Joe Brannon.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Credit for the write up goes to Joe Brannon.
    For sure ... he's also the one who's provided me more guidance than I'd ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw View Post
    Note: those instructions are for M coupe & roadster.

E30 version:

remove rear seat bottom
    Raise car & support with jackstands
    remove 2 bolts (hex heads) just forward of subframe bolts on both sides
    remove subframe nuts and retainer plate
    knock bolt up into the car
    swear while trying to get the subframe bushing loose from the chassis
    use tool one side at a time

Notice the lack of other stuff that's not the bushing mounts needing to be removed. They made your life much more complicated Jonathan
    Torch and hammer to get the subframe out, or just a hammer? Last time I did rear subframe bushings on an E30, I ended up in the cabin with a fire blanket.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Torch and hammer to get the subframe out, or just a hammer? Last time I did rear subframe bushings on an E30, I ended up in the cabin with a fire blanket.
    Neither is necessary ... just a big pry bar at the most.

Neither is necessary ... just a big pry bar at the most.
    Says the guy working on a nice, new, Z3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Says the guy working on a nice, new, Z3.
    Says the guy who has done several e30's too!

What's that phrase ... give me a big enough bar and I can ...

I've seen someone use a stock shaft driven jack wedged in where the springs would go to aid in dropping the subframe off the posts.

Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Says the guy who has done several e30's too!

What's that phrase ... give me a big enough bar and I can ...
    Heh. Well, it seems that I have four or more E30s in the queue. I guess we will see.

according to bill brochu (before he moved), on a lift, use a 6' pry bar and you can pop them loose no matter how bad they were stuck. ]

The first set I did on my car came out just being unbolted (factory installation). The second set required a torch and and air hammer after melting the bushing. The set that's in there now was liberally coated with anti-seize. We'll see if they come out later this week.

The ones off the parts car fell after I left them unbolted for about 2 weeks (I didn't need to get them apart right away)

Hey everyone, I've just registered for the July 18th DIY to swap the stock subframe bushings in my 318ti to the Ireland Engineering ones. Are all the tools listed in the first post what I should bring? Is there anything else that would be helpful to have? Do I need to contact someone about renting/borrowing the special bushing removal tool?

Arrow SpiderTri Bushings

Please read the carefully written guidance document in the DIY Program webpage, then repeat your question if you need further guidance.

Thanks,
    Alan
    DIY Chair

I found this page,

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?o...=37&Itemid=108

and I contacted the event coordinator and the special tools manager.

I didn't find anything specific to subframe bushings though. I read in another thread that is is possible to do the subframe bushings during these events, is that still true?

I am mechanically inclined and do alot of work on my car, but If there are any pointers or tricks that make the job easier I would love to hear them. Is anyone going to be at Passport that has done this job before?
    -Dave

'98 318ti

Thread Information