Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Can I flip my tires w/ no problems?

Thread: Can I flip my tires w/ no problems?

Can I flip my tires w/ no problems?

So my tires are looking a little worn on the outside edges. I've done a few autocrosses, have no camber plates, and due to me being a complete and utter novice, have understeered and plowed a lot at autox. I suppose all of that contributes to the outer edge wear.

Anyways, I'm wondering if I can just go to my tire shop this weekend and have them flip the tires from one side to the other. In other words, the rotation will still be the same, but they will flipped on the wheel, so the worn outer edge is now on the inside.

The insides look fine...practically untouched, so it seems to me like it'd be a good idea to even out the wear. I have heard that it used to be a problem because the steel belts set a certain way or something, but I assume the technology is a little better that it's no longer the case, but I'm just guessing.

Anyone have any experience with these? Should I be worried at all if I do this?

It's fine.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

what kind of tires do u have? are the directional?
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Exclamation An Innie to an Outie?

Paul,

Maybe I misunderstand, but I think you want to mount the "outside" of your tires on the "inside". With today's tires, I think that is a no-no (dangerous). Suggest you ask someone in the business, such as Paul Moorcones or Sam Fisher at Radial Tire (301) 585-2740.

Safety Fast! (Old MG motto)

Alan
    DIYCom

Quote Originally Posted by Munchenman2 View Post
    Paul,

Maybe I misunderstand, but I think you want to mount the "outside" of your tires on the "inside". With today's tires, I think that is a no-no (dangerous). Suggest you ask someone in the business, such as Paul Moorcones or Sam Fisher at Radial Tire (301) 585-2740.

Alan
    DIYCom
    Depends on the tire. Radial has flipped my tires many times.
    Direction really matter only in rain.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

OK, thanks for all the pointers. Seems like it should be fine.

Just for the record, the tires I'm flipping are Direzza Z1 Star spec, so they are directional, but as far as I know, they don't have a designated "in" side or "out" side. I guess that's because the tread is symmetrical.

And when I flip them, the rotational direction will still be as recommended, just the old "in" side will face out, and vice versa.

It's fine.

It helped me get an extra ~20 autocrosses out of my old Hankook RS2s.

I do it at least once in the life of my tires... FYI, I have the same tires as you and plan to do that if/when I start getting that uneven wear again. I also rotate front to rear every few events if the wear is uneven. Tires get expensive so you may as well do all you can to use them up.

Quote Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
    So my tires are looking a little worn on the outside edges. I've done a few autocrosses, have no camber plates, and due to me being a complete and utter novice, have understeered and plowed a lot at autox. I suppose all of that contributes to the outer edge wear.

Anyways, I'm wondering if I can just go to my tire shop this weekend and have them flip the tires from one side to the other. In other words, the rotation will still be the same, but they will flipped on the wheel, so the worn outer edge is now on the inside.

The insides look fine...practically untouched, so it seems to me like it'd be a good idea to even out the wear. I have heard that it used to be a problem because the steel belts set a certain way or something, but I assume the technology is a little better that it's no longer the case, but I'm just guessing.

Anyone have any experience with these? Should I be worried at all if I do this?
    Yes, "flipping" the tires will be a good way to extend their life, but if the uneven wear is just due to "a few autocrosses" I'm wondering how bad they need it now. How many more autocross events might you do on these tires? You'll want to do the flip about half way through the life of the tires.

By the way, if you bought the tires at Radial Tire Company, as everyone should, they'll do the flip and balance for free.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by Munchenman2 View Post
    Paul,

Alan
    DIYCom
    Alan, I think it would only be an issue with asymetrical tread patterns, or asymetrical sidewall construction (like the long dead, but dearly beloved BFGoodrich T/A R1). But asking Paul or Sam is always a good idea.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Yes, "flipping" the tires will be a good way to extend their life, but if the uneven wear is just due to "a few autocrosses" I'm wondering how bad they need it now. How many more autocross events might you do on these tires? You'll want to do the flip about half way through the life of the tires.

By the way, if you bought the tires at Radial Tire Company, as everyone should, they'll do the flip and balance for free.
    Woody,

That's a good point. They've only got 4 autocross events and a track day on them (plus a lot of regular driving, but that won't really wear the edges all that much), so perhaps I should hold off on the flip. I guess I'm just not used to seeing wear so far over on tires so I'm a little trigger happy in flipping them to the fresh sides. I suppose I just need to keep an eye on tread depth at the edges, just like I normally would, right? Nothing else I need to worry about in terms of wearing the sides?

I'll keep Radial Tire in mind when I need replacements. I bought these before I moved down here so they came from a shop in NJ.

OK, thanks again for the help guys!

+1 Radial Tire and their free flipping service. On my recent purchase of Toyo R888's that actually advised me to do a few events then flip, do some more, then flip.

They do politely ask for tips for the guys though.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    They do politely ask for tips for the guys though.
    One year I brought 2 dozen bagels for the guys on behalf of the chapter. Paul wondered why it got so quiet back there. Good thing I bought a dozen for the office too.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thread Information