Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Dunlop Tires Uneven Wear

Thread: Dunlop Tires Uneven Wear

Dunlop Tires Uneven Wear

I'm posting for a friend , potentially member. He has an X5 with Dunlop 20 inch tires, with 27,000 miles with uneven wear. Back tires wear on inside on thread, front tires uneven wear on outside of thread. Dealer says it's not an alignment issue, possibly the tires. Anyone with previous experience or any suggestions.

i can understand the rears wearing on the inside b/c of negative camber (not sure why the fronts arent the same); thats normal unless he's running something like -5

you can always reduce the neg camber, but its set that way for better handling. since this sounds normal, you can always tell him to drive faster around corners
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

The X5 has a lot of rear negative camber because it has a bit of a snap oversteer handling problem. Wearing the insides of the rears is normal.

Wear on the outside in front is not normal, unless your friend autoxes and/or tracks his X5. (Which is unlikely, but I've seen both...) If it's not an alignment issue per se, it's probably a bushing/ball joint issue.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

FollowUp Dunlop tires

The X5 was purchased new, currently with only 27,000 miles, if the tires are in fact defective, is the dealer responsible for some sort of prorated credit towards new tires?

Quote Originally Posted by ddgrandy View Post
    The X5 was purchased new, currently with only 27,000 miles, if the tires are in fact defective, is the dealer responsible for some sort of prorated credit towards new tires?
    1) The tires are not defective.
    2) No.
    3) 27,000 miles is reasonable wear.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

i have 20" rims on my x5 too and i can tell you that those tires dont last long regardless of whatever Dunlop product line. if they are high-performance summer tires like mine, getting 27k is actually stretching the limit IMO. i'm sure they are pretty loud too. if they are all-season, 27k is probably on the other side of 50%.

you can also check x5world. i'm over there quite a bit and i've never heard of the front wearing on the outside AND the rears wearing on the inside.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Exclamation Time for new tyres

Not sure why your friend is complaining...27K is past the point that the tires should have been replaced, unless the driving style is extremely sedate.

If the dealer purchase was recent, I'd speak with the general manager and request at least 50% reimbursement - half his fault and half my fault.

just my tuppence...

Alan
    DIYCom

Thanks, and this is the reason why joining this group has been a plus, I'm used to tires lasting a minimum of 50k obviously these tires on this car don't, we had no idea. So this is all very informative. Thanks

Thread Information