Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
I want to buy my wife an X5 4.6is or 4.8is. Any advice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I want to buy my wife an X5 4.6is or 4.8is. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by raymondalombardo View Post
    Orlando-
    A few thoughts here on top of the sound advice you have received:

1. Don't be afraid of the v-8s. The 4.4l is a reliable motor, and the issues that it has it largely shares with the I-6s. For whatever reason, there's a lot of urban legend out there about these motors.

2. While the I-6 is a tad underpowered for the X5, if you are using the car for highway driving it is less of an issue. The big advantage of the I-6 is that you can find a manual transmission. They do come up for sale with some regularity, you just have to be willing to travel.

3. If you need AWD, well then you need it but a set of good winter tires might be cheaper. X series BMWs love to eat front half shafts, and this is an expensive job. Someone mentioned this, but I would price this job and then think about whether it is still worth it to you.

4. Finally, no one mentioned the water cooled alternators on the v-8s. These are fairly reliable, but very expensive if they head south. Needless to say, have any prospect checked out thoroughly.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, and were looking for a long distance tourer, I would find an e61 530XiT manual wagon. The e60, weird styling aside, is a pretty good car. And the N52 is a reliable motor, as compared to the N54. The half shaft issue is still there as always, but the rest of the car is better. We've looked at X5s several times, and each time I've been turned off by the fact that they don't seem to hold up that well. Maybe it's just me.

Hth, and good luck.

Raymond Lombardo

Thanks Raymond! The insight you and other members have provided has been very helpful.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

What about the X3 with the sport package and M-badges? Raine M. has one - very nice ride!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

If you want a larger car with more room why not a 5 series wagon? We have one and it handles great and certainly gets better gas mileage. Another bonus is there is more storage room than in the X5. If you have the concern of all wheel drive you can opt for that as well. My neighbor currrently has a X5 with transmission and drivetrain issues that she can not afford to fix so the it sits in the garage until she can afford to fix it. She has about 90,000 miles. Hope the input helps!

Scott

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    What about the X3 with the sport package and M-badges? Raine M. has one - very nice ride!

The X3 is simply too small. The 5 series wagon is unnecessary for our lifestyle (no pets, no kids). I have the Ford Expedition for winter trips, Lowe's runs and carrying wheels and engines. In all honesty, this thread has served to illustrate to me exactly how much we probably do not need an X5 in the garage. I wish BMW made an X8 so that I could get rid of my Ford and have an all BMW collection. Alas, it is not to be...

actually, in terms of cabin space, the X3 and the X5 is pretty identical depending on what MY you're comparing
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Start saving for the funky new 5er-based hatchback GT!

Last edited by John in VA; 04-07-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Start saving for the funky new 5er-based hatchback GT!

BMW AG has lost it's mind. The X6 is in no way a "Coupe" and the automobile in this illustration (550i GT) is certainly not a "Grand Tourer". Although, I admit they are both pretty cool looking and packed with technology that defies physics.

A grand tourer (GT) is a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupe with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.

A coupe is a 2-door automobile often seating only two persons ; also: one with a tight-spaced rear seat.

A lot has changed since I learned to drive, using my brother's 1977 BMW 320i. Don't get me wrong; the X6 (and all modern BMWs) are extremely capable vehicles, and as a Roundel writer recently stated: "BMW engineers could make a Bus lap the Nurburgring in 10 minutes." That being said, I am a purist at heart (even if I did start a thread about buying an SUV).

O.k. that is the end of my short, unprovoked rant. Which of course, is aimed in no way at you John!
    Last edited by ///MARINE; 04-08-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    actually, in terms of cabin space, the X3 and the X5 is pretty identical depending on what MY you're comparing
    That may be true but I just don't see us getting an X3. We have always preferred the look of the X5.

Quote Originally Posted by ///MARINE View Post
    That may be true but I just don't see us getting an X3. We have always preferred the look of the X5.
    me too
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

BMW AG has lost it's mind. The X6 is in no way a "Coupe" and the automobile in this illustration (550i GT) is certainly not a "Grand Tourer". Although, I admit they are both pretty cool looking and packed with technology that defies physics.

A grand tourer (GT) is a high-performance luxury automobile designed for long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupe with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.

A coupe is a 2-door automobile often seating only two persons ; also: one with a tight-spaced rear seat.

A lot has changed since I learned to drive, using my brother's 1977 BMW 320i. Don't get me wrong; the X6 (and all modern BMWs) are extremely capable vehicles, and as a Roundel writer recently stated: "BMW engineers could make a Bus lap the Nurburgring in 10 minutes." That being said, I am a purist at heart (even if I did start a thread about buying an SUV).

O.k. that is the end of my short, unprovoked rant. Which of course, is aimed in no way at you John!
    Well said!

Also, for whatever reason, also count me in the "not an X3 fan" group. For whatever reason, it always looked awkward to me. Also to chickish for a guy. Not PC, I know, but it does.

R-

Update:

In attempt to decide the fate of my wife's E46 I have been driving it all week (she is out of town). I planned to surprise her by picking her up in her new X5. I've only driven it (her E46) a few times previously, but after driving it all week my view has changed. I have ordered a stay of education for her little Henna Red prized possesion. It is actually a pretty nice little car. I have found a seat adjustment setting that fits my frame and I've learned to deal with it's quirks. We really don't need an X5 after all. Woody can now rejoice that the car gods have for now defeated the SAV gods! now it is time to find some OEM ZHP wheels for this thing. Thanks again for all the help gentlemen.

In attempt to decide the fate of my wife's E46 I have been driving it all week (she is out of town). I planned to surprise her by picking her up in her new X5. I've only driven it (her E46) a few times previously, but after driving it all week my view has changed. I have ordered a stay of education for her little Henna Red prized possesion. It is actually a pretty nice little car. I have found a seat adjustment setting that fits my frame and I've learned to deal with it's quirks. We really don't need an X5 after all. Woody can now rejoice that the car gods have for now defeated the SAV gods! now it is time to find some OEM ZHP wheels for this thing. Thanks again for all the help gentlemen.
    Good choice!
    Just a little bit info from myself. I had 2 x5, one was 4.4 sport, the other one (current) is 3.0 stick. 4.4 was bought right after 740il. Someone mentioned that he would prefer 7series to x5. It is really a difficult choice. My husband had much more problems with 7series. Also, even though it's the same engine, due to the fact that x5's final gear ratio is lower, it better takes off of the line. It has better torque. That's being said 7series has better high speed acceleration. BTW, x5 4.4 had worse gas mileage, 7-10 m/g. So, after having 740 and x5 my husband got himself, x5 3.0 stick (he sacrificed the engine size to the stick). I, personally have e46 and planning to have her for x more years. I think my husband does not have a choice either since our family is growing, now we have 1 child and 2 huge dogs. He was also looking at x6, but in my opinion it looks like something korean.. infinity fx35 something?
    Last edited by mduhovich; 04-19-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Thread Information