Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Automatic transmission at driver's school?

Thread: Automatic transmission at driver's school?

Automatic transmission at driver's school?

My wife and I talked a little about going to the Oktoberfest in GA this year. I'd like to do the Driving School since we'd be next to a track. Our BMW is not ideal for track work....it's an Automatic AWD. I didn't note many (or any?) automatics at the last event. How do they hold up? Would this be a death sentence for the transmission? I figure we'd both drive the event so the car would get double duty.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    2004 325xi
    1990 Porsche 944 S2 - Track Car
    1983 Porsche 911 Targa
    1980 BMW R65

There are plenty of people who do on-track driver schools with automatics. I wouldn't be concerned about reliability issues. I haven't heard of any since the original V12 750s.

I think it is great that you and your spouse want to do the Oktoberfest school at Road Atlanta. I do not recommend that you try to do them the same day. The run groups are based on experience. If you are sharing a car, one of you will have to be placed in a more advanced group and normally that will not work in your favor. But with 5 school days at this Oktoberfest, you can do one day and your wife an other.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I've driven my '00 528iA at VIR without problems

auto on the track won't be a problem at all...

have fun!
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

i wouldnt worry about the tranny unless there's something wrong with it now. i'd be more concerned about the condition/type of brakes if you both plan to use the same car on different days as Woody suggests.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    If you are sharing a car, one of you will have to be placed in a more advanced group and normally that will not work in your favor. But with 5 school days at this Oktoberfest, you can do one day and your wife an other.
    I'm quite certain that we'd be in different groups. She's never done a track day at all, and I've done a bunch (but not at RA). I enjoyed the format of the March Driver's School and if it's similar it would be low key enough for her - compared to the Green group in my usual club. We'll have to see what hanging around would be like for the non-driver each day.

Thanks for the input.
    2004 325xi
    1990 Porsche 944 S2 - Track Car
    1983 Porsche 911 Targa
    1980 BMW R65

Ofest schools are a bit different than other DEs in that people students with a wide range of experience will be in the same group. Unlike a chapter that sees the same people at each school, many Ofest students do one school a year. It's difficult to place students solely on experience. There will also only be 3 student run groups Wed-Fri. Sat/Sun will be 2 student groups depending on how many club racers show up. With 2 groups, Sat and Sun will be limited to those with Road Atlanta experience making student/instructor assignment a little easier.

My experience at the Ofest school at VIR where I am normally in the lower part of B group, I ended up closing in very fast to others. Ofest schools are a good opportunity to experience a new track. Peachtree will do their best to assign students appropriately.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Steven speakth the truth.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Thread Information