Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Transmission replacement?

Thread: Transmission replacement?

Transmission replacement?

Well after 95k miles, my X5 is on the brink of destruction. The tranny is just about dead, so I'm looking to possibly get it replaced/rebuilt. I took it to Bogdan at Passport and there's not a lot they can do other than replace it for $5k+. Obviously, thats not the route I'd like to take, so I'm looking for a reputable place to possibly take care of this.

I've thought about pulling one from the junk yard (if I can find one), but those arent warrantied at all or guaranteed to work. I've seen a few places online that sells rebuilds which so far is the direction I'm leaning.

For some reason, its a common problem for X5s with this many miles, but otherwise its still in great shape. Can anyone recommend a shop that possibly could handle this?

Here's my writeup on another board and they gave some good advice so far:
    http://www.x5world.com/x5-e53-forum/...sion-died.html
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Hmm, maybe Carmax?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

hey paul, you can do that at the next DIY seriously, let me check I may have someone that can do the R&R for you. let me get the contact info.

you can also try Autocentro in Rockville, they work on imports. i've used them in the past, they're pretty good and fair in pricing, they usually book about a week and half in advance. 301-340-2444 talk to Paolo he's the owner. tell him I referred you.
    Last edited by martinj; 04-01-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Paul-
    Autosports Unlimited in Zeeland, Michigan rebuilt the transmission (ZF 5hp-30) in my 740 about 5 years ago. Runs perfectly still. I recall the transmission was about $2700, which included the core charge. Then you need to install it. They offer a two year, 24k mile warranty, and they include labor on the R&R. Might be worth a shot.

Hth.
    Raymond Lombardo

I lost 2nd gear in my 01 325ci @ 127,000 miles when I had it. I used the Korean network (parents) to find a place. The shop is in Lorton/alexandria area and i think they did it for around 1500. Since then, I have sold the car to my cousin and he has driven another 40k miles? and still no issues with the tranny. If you'd like, PM or email me and I can get the number for you pretty quickly. Just need to find it.

GL.

Superior Transmissions in downtown Silver Spring rebuilt the trans in my (it's my son's now) 00 740iS about 4 years ago. No problems since. The cost was $2500 at the time.
    They did such a good job that a friend of mine who has his own BMW repair shop sends all of his major transmission work to them. No complaints from any of his customers either.
    Last edited by Coupenut; 04-17-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added more info

Quote Originally Posted by Coupenut View Post
    Superior Transmissions in downtown Silver Spring rebuilt the trans in my (it's my son's now) 00 740iS about 4 years ago. No problems since. The cost was $2500 at the time.
    They did such a good job that a friend of mine who has his own BMW repair shop sends all of his major transmission work to them. No complaints from any of his customers either.
    was it $2500 for everything or just labor?
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

County Transmission in Vienna is a good place. I think it's about 2k for a complete rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    was it $2500 for everything or just labor?
    Everything.

Thread Information