Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
VANOS seal replacement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VANOS seal replacement

Cool VANOS seal replacement

Completed the Beisan vanos seal replacement on my 00 E46 323i with 285,000+ miles on it and after the short break-in period and help from Rajaie with the connection of the vanos intake sensor my bimmer is once again running like a beast. The response is nothing short of incredible, my car feels alive once again, just like she did the day I purchased her in 1999. Its really amazing, I wish I had done this replacement sooner but never the less I am extremely impressed. God Bless you Beisan.com because you have brought the lost spirit back to my extremely high mileage Red-head. Look out Auto-X and Drivers School, here I come! Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Thumbs up ...Turn 9 becons!

Well done, Young Guru!

I'msure you will enjoy all ten turns on the historic Summit Point circuit, as well as their three 'new' circuits. Don't forget to practice, practice, practice on the skid pads. Have fun!

And Folks, Zach did this job at our last DIY!

Slainte,
    Alan
    Old Guru

I can also recommend doing this on older BMWs. It's a pretty easy and quick process (although I recommend against stabbing your fingers), and the return on investment is high.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

How does one know when it is time to do this?
    (153,000 miles on the 328)
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Anytime after 30k miles on an M52, M52TU, or M54 series engine is a good time to do this. I performed this at only 35k miles on my Z4 and noticed an increase in fuel efficiency to the tune of 3-4mpg highway. The more miles, the more efficiency and power you are losing. Zach's case was a bit extreme at 285k miles.

I had the pleasure of helping him at the DIY, chiefly in that I almost convinced him to assemble the vanos incorrectly.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    How does one know when it is time to do this?
    (153,000 miles on the 328)
    You should look into the Dr. Vanos solution (www.drvanos.com) as he also rents the tools you'll need for the single VANOS installation.

I am looking at a vanos fix, did you buy just the seals? or the whole drvanos kit?

Quote Originally Posted by sandberg84 View Post
    I am looking at a vanos fix, did you buy just the seals? or the whole drvanos kit?
    I did just the seals on my E46. If you have a dual vanos and a performance package E46 or aftermarket cams, you should go the dr. vanos route. I have no idea about single vanos engines though.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    I did just the seals on my E46. If you have a dual vanos and a performance package E46 or aftermarket cams, you should go the dr. vanos route. I have no idea about single vanos engines though.
    Why? Dual VANOS isn't hard to change the seals on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Why? Dual VANOS isn't hard to change the seals on.
    I know, but the dr. vanos unit is modified to reduce the rattle that is caused by the aftermarket cams. If you don't have a rattle or can live with the noise, just replacing the seals is good enough.

Intake sensor question

"...help from Rajaie with the connection of the vanos intake sensor"

Hi Zach, we have all the parts (fingers crossed) and are about to do this on our 2000 328...but planning to do it at home, given how long it might take and not wanting to be under time pressure at a DIY. Can you tell us what the problem was with connecting the sensor, and did that come up after the DIY? Cheers,

Jim

VANOS seal replacement is actually a really quick operation on the M52TU/M54. I wouldn't hesitate to do it at a DIY if I didn't have full confidence.

Then again, I wouldn't hesitate to do it at home the day the seals arrived in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunlap View Post
    Hi Zach, we have all the parts (fingers crossed) and are about to do this on our 2000 328...but planning to do it at home, given how long it might take and not wanting to be under time pressure at a DIY. Can you tell us what the problem was with connecting the sensor, and did that come up after the DIY? Cheers,

Jim
    Since you don't need a lift, you could probably work in a corner at a DIY and not feel rushed. At the same time, you might as well do it at home, especially if the valve cover gasket has never been changed before and it has become plasticized & brittle. I had to spend a considerable amount of time picking out bits of rubber from the valve cover and the cylinder head when I changed my seals. As far as the sensor goes, I think Zach just forget to reconnect the intake VANOS solenoid plug when putting everything back together.

Understood. Our car has 72,000. We dutifully bought all of the seals, gaskets, etc. per the advice on the Beisan site, and following advice from the getBMWparts team. We'll think about the "where" a bit more.

Jim:

Here is a dual-vanos repair DIY I did back on 2/14/08.

I would recommend doing this at home in case something brakes, you need extra time to clean, you find other WYIT stuff.

Been through two winters, no cold idle jo;t stumble, great mileage, torque (what torque) is back. 1st or second best repair / restore I've done to my touring behind replacing the rear carrier (subframe) bushings. *

Good luck and PM / Email if you have any Qs.

*Have the special tool for carrier bushings removal on tourings in case people are interested.
    Jason

'89 325iX
    '90 325iX
    '00 528iT

Thread Information