Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Bad rear bearing??? Repair shop recommendation in Reston/Vienna

Thread: Bad rear bearing??? Repair shop recommendation in Reston/Vienna

Bad rear bearing??? Repair shop recommendation in Reston/Vienna

Hello all, my E36 sounds like it has a bad left rear wheel bearing. Any recommendations on where I can have it fixed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by gmufiji12 View Post
    Hello all, my E36 sounds like it has a bad left rear wheel bearing. Any recommendations on where I can have it fixed.

Thanks,

Kevin
    It's not really close, however, RRT is top notch service in the area. They did wheel bearings on my old 328is and I was completely satisfied.

Reston to Sterling is like 5 miles?

roadracetech.com
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Reston to Sterling is like 5 miles?

roadracetech.com
    Yeah, from some parts - but from other parts, it's 10-15 mi.

Did you buy a plane that I don't know about to achieve these straight line results?

Do you remember how much it cost you to replace the bearings? Also, do you think I am doing any additional damage driving around on it this week. It's driving me crazy...

BTW, I went to RRT for a DIY. I was very impressed with the facility and the staff.

Thanks,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by gmufiji12 View Post
    Do you remember how much it cost you to replace the bearings? Also, do you think I am doing any additional damage driving around on it this week. It's driving me crazy...

BTW, I went to RRT for a DIY. I was very impressed with the facility and the staff.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin,

If I remember correctly it was 3-4 hours labor plus parts per side. You should get both sides done at the same time.

I don't think that there should be any additional damage, but I'm not an expert with wheel bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Kevin,

If I remember correctly it was 3-4 hours labor plus parts per side. You should get both sides done at the same time.

I don't think that there should be any additional damage, but I'm not an expert with wheel bearings.

I respectfully disagree about replacing both sides. I have replaced both passenger side bearings on Vader, but not needed either drivers side replaced yet. I replaced the front one about 8 years ago! The rear can be a DIY project (I have a write up in that area) but it is not exactly an easy job and it requires a press.

Also, bearings usually die fairly slow deaths with lots of groaning. Unless it is groaning full time and, you should be OK for a couple of days.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    I respectfully disagree about replacing both sides. I have replaced both passenger side bearings on Vader, but not needed either drivers side replaced yet. I replaced the front one about 8 years ago! The rear can be a DIY project (I have a write up in that area) but it is not exactly an easy job and it requires a press.

Also, bearings usually die fairly slow deaths with lots of groaning. Unless it is groaning full time and, you should be OK for a couple of days.
    I prefer to have my suspension and drivetrain in equal condition on both sides of the car ...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I prefer to have my suspension and drivetrain in equal condition on both sides of the car ...

So if you get a nail in one tire, do you patch both tires on that axle? ;o)
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    So if you get a nail in one tire, do you patch both tires on that axle? ;o)
    I just run over a nail with the other ... problem solved.

... then I justify to the wife why I need another set of tires.

As the old say'n goes if you replace one you might replace the other. At the last DIY I replaced the driver-side tie rode assembly. Should I have replace the other side too? Well I could have but I didn't.

Thread Information