Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Any experience with Kirk Racing rollbars?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with Kirk Racing rollbars?

Any experience with Kirk Racing rollbars?

I was looking at purchasing their six-point racing rollbar. I've never seen a six point. It's a bolt in as well. I believe Mitch piper charges $1K for a 4 point welded in. Autopower -- well, I do not like where the bar sits and the backing plates look weak.

I know it's preferably to get a welded cage/bar; but, I am not 100% sure I will run this in HP. I may still try KP since its much cheaper. JP is where the action is at; but, much more expensive to purchase a turn-key JP than a turn-key KP. Although, spec miata has perked my interest as well. I saw some video footage, friggin' 60 cars at once -- people tappin' each other like bumper cars. Man, it was intense just watching it!!!

I'd like to do another year of DE driving ... and see what I think. I just want to be a bit safer this year. So, was considering the roll bar. Any thoughts on kirk racing products?

Kirk makes good stuff and they (Mark & Julie Stewart) are easy to do business with. Their bar is a cut above Autopower in fit and finish (I have an Autopower in my street car so I know what they look like), but...

No bolt-in is ever going to fit as tightly as a custom welded cage. If you decide to go custom, remove the sunroof first. Voice of experience here. My welded cage, which once fit tight against the roof, now sits an inch below the roof, now that I've removed the sunroof.

Have you talked to Mitch? Its his busy season now. No telling when he can get your car in his shop. You should give the Stewarts a call and see what kind of delivery dates they have too. There's another local cage builder, over in Marlow Hights. I forget the name now. They did a friends SRX7 recently. Marshall you out there? What's the name of that joint? they advertise in The Straightpipe, if you get that.

I do not get the straight pipe. Oh wait, I do -- but, threw out the last issue. Are you referring to marshall lytle? I should ask him about the marlow heights place? I'll email him directly if that is the person.

Do you know how much they charge (marlow heights)? I've spoken with Julie in the past. Just could not find anyplace local around here willing to install it. My current mechanic says he does not want to attempt it. Not sure whom could do it, since it would be a bolt-in.

I know welded is much more preferable. But, at this point, not willing to commit this car fully. I have not spoken with Mitch about it. I just know in the E30 -- it cost $1K for the welded in 4-pt rollbar. So, I assume the E46 would cost at least that much. I think bimmerworld wants $1500 or something in that neighborhood for the 4 point welded in version. I just do not want to weld one in right now.

Kearney Racing is in Marlow Heights. They did the install on my bolt-in Autopower cage. They did beef up the attachment points, added the seat mounting & window net brackets. Kearney's did an excellent, clean job. No shortcuts. IMHO, Kearney's is as good as they come. You'll have to call about the prices though. Either John or Linda can help you.

I've also driven another ITB car that had a Kirk roll cage. The design of the door bars made it a bit harder to get into the car, but the quality of the cage was very good. They welds were perfect, the fit was excellent for an off-the-shelf piece, even the finish was really good. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably go with a Kirk instead of an Autopower if I had to pick a bolt-in cage.
    Last edited by GT; 01-06-2005 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input. I am going to see John (Kearney) this weekend. He is going to be in from 9:00 a.m. to about 1:00 p.m., so, if anyone else needs to stop by for advice. He's going to take a look and give me advice on what I should do.

He said he would use 1.5" DOM 120 tensile(???) which will be stronger than autopower's 1.75 DOM tube. Plus, he said it will fit much, much, better. He agreed, the Kirk Racing is a good bar. He said, either way, he would work with me on it!

Thanks again!

Cool...lighter (and stronger) tubing! Their cages are works of art!

James, what happened with this?

-- Jason

What do you need to know? He charges less than $400 installation if you purchase the Kirk Racing bar. For a custom four point welded one, he charges around $1300 for our cars. I am going with the kirk bolt in racing. Included in the $400 installation costs is add'l backing plates to reinforce what Kirk uses. Kirk's bar is 1.75 dom -- he likes kirk because it sits back a bit farther, allowing it to be safer on the streets and you can move the seats back and forth for different drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
    What do you need to know? He charges less than $400 installation if you purchase the Kirk Racing bar. For a custom four point welded one, he charges around $1300 for our cars. I am going with the kirk bolt in racing. Included in the $400 installation costs is add'l backing plates to reinforce what Kirk uses. Kirk's bar is 1.75 dom -- he likes kirk because it sits back a bit farther, allowing it to be safer on the streets and you can move the seats back and forth for different drivers.
    This is for the E30...I have no idea how much Kirk bars are...

Edit: I sent Kirk an email a little while ago. Does the Kirk bar include harness bar?

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jkuper
    This is for the E30...I have no idea how much Kirk bars are...

Edit: I sent Kirk an email a little while ago. Does the Kirk bar include harness bar?
    You don't need a harness bar. You would wrap the harnesses around the center portion of the bar. The kirk bar comes with the harness guides. If you are thinking about buying it, we could save on shipping and send it together to Kearney Racing (it's a business address). It should cost no more than $400 for installing it by Kearney. I could get an okay discount on corbeau five points and corbeau racing seats ... visit www.apexperformance.net (pm me for details). Mark R. bought from them .. and he really liked the seats, harnesses, and prices

You probably "should" have a professional install it. I figure since he is reinforcing the backing plates -- he will do a professional job. Plus, as you can see from here, many people recommend Kearney's as a good establishment. He said it would take approximately two days to install, at most. So, our cars would not be there for that long of a period. He also said he would use higher grade bolts if he did not like the ones that Kirk Racing supplies.

Plus, he's fairly close -- about the same distance as here to rosecroft is (from alexandria, VA). He's a lot closer than I thought.

Kirk is horrible at returning emails IMO. Call in and speak with Julie. She is the main person to speak with. If you are going to order a bar, let me know and I can call in and find out how much all together shipped.

James

Quote Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
    You don't need a harness bar. You would wrap the harnesses around the center portion of the bar. The kirk bar comes with the harness guides. If you are thinking about buying it, we could save on shipping and send it together to Kearney Racing (it's a business address). It should cost no more than $400 for installing it by Kearney. I could get an okay discount on corbeau five points and corbeau racing seats ... visit www.apexperformance.net (pm me for details). Mark R. bought from them .. and he really liked the seats, harnesses, and prices

You probably "should" have a professional install it. I figure since he is reinforcing the backing plates -- he will do a professional job. Plus, as you can see from here, many people recommend Kearney's as a good establishment. He said it would take approximately two days to install, at most. So, our cars would not be there for that long of a period. He also said he would use higher grade bolts if he did not like the ones that Kirk Racing supplies.

Plus, he's fairly close -- about the same distance as here to rosecroft is (from alexandria, VA). He's a lot closer than I thought.

Kirk is horrible at returning emails IMO. Call in and speak with Julie. She is the main person to speak with. If you are going to order a bar, let me know and I can call in and find out how much all together shipped.

James
    James,

I am not quite ready for the bar, won't be until March or so. So, shipping together won't work, unless you want to wait.

I actually ordered Corbeau Forzas with double-locking brackets and harnesses last night from soloracer.com. I think all together 917.00 - I probably overpaid, but hopefully not by much

I will have to use a professional to do it, no doubt a place to skimp on.

When are you looking to do this? Do you have a pic of their bar?

-- Jason

I talked to Julie, I am sure she is giving me the same info as you have. Combined shipping sounds a tiny bit more than if we ordered each individually, so we should definitely do this together. Are you thinking removable harness bar or no? It sounds like it's not easily removable, so is it even worth it? She also said prices are going up $15 in Feb, but we could order soon and give them a ship date. Also, she said in March or so lead time goes up from 2-3 weeks to 6-8 weeks. I just don't want it sitting at Kearneys....

-- Jason

Well -- I was going to order and heard it takes 6-8 weeks. I need to speak with her soon about it. It's kind of up to you what you want to do.

What you "could" do -- is ask Julie if we can order at the prices "NOW." But, ship the bars together in march if you want to do it then. I have no problem waiting. I am in no rush. I have too much other crap to complete on the car. The roll bar and harnesses are the last item on the list for me.

I already asked her that. She said we can order now, get "in-line" and specify a shipping date. But if we wanted it now, the time frame is 2-3 weeks. She said that you have a question pending with her and I also had something that I need to know. So, maybe we can give it a week and re-visit this next monday? Prices will still be there.

-- Jason

Yes, my question with her is re: sponsorship -- partial discount for the bar. She was going to check into that for me. We've been talking about it for the past 3-4 months. I will call her tomorrow about it.

But, I can hold off on ordering for a week. I'm ordering their bar regardless of a discount or not.

Thread Information