Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
FEELER: e36 M3 front struts R+R help

Thread: FEELER: e36 M3 front struts R+R help

FEELER: e36 M3 front struts R+R help

Wondering if anyone local (with an impact wrench, strut tools, spring compressor) can help with a remove and replace front strut operation on my e36 M3? I was going to tackle the job at the last DIY, but ran out of time.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by martinj View Post
    Wondering if anyone local (with an impact wrench, strut tools, spring compressor) can help with a remove and replace front strut operation on my e36 M3? I was going to tackle the job at the last DIY, but ran out of time.

Thanks!

I'm down. I've got a cordless 18v impact wrench with a couple of batteries and spring compressors. Let me know if you need a hand.
    '94 e36
    '89 e24 Turbo
    '87 e24

cool, thanks. i'm going to install koni's instead of the oem's, they should arrive in a week or so. i'll send you a pm so we can setup a time. thanks again man!

You need a sawzall and a drill as well for Konis. A bench clamp makes things easier, too.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

They're cartridges?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

E36 front Konis are sold as inserts, yes.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post

When I did my E36 M3, only inserts were offered. I was just at my father's house and he had a set of full struts for his 318ti. I don't know if the 318ti vs M3 matters here, but I was surprised full struts were offered.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

yep, only inserts for the front. at least for the M3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post

update: shocks, struts and springs installed

i finally got my shocks, struts and springs installed, also replaced the sway links. i didn't need a spring compressor for the H&R OE's, I just used body weight to push the spring down and zipped it with a cordless impact. attached are some before and after pics. (i painted the strut housing to match the koni inserts ) i didn't realize that my front struts were shot, i could compress them with one finger, and they stayed down. the car rides so much better now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koni_instal_2.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koni_install.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	729  
    Last edited by martinj; 05-07-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Thread Information