Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Light Weight Battery Replacement

Thread: Light Weight Battery Replacement

Hybrid View

Light Weight Battery Replacement

So I was a bit bored today, and was cruising one of the e39 M5 boards. There was a thread about light weight batteries. A few of them have used a 21lb battery from http://www.braillebattery.com/index....tteries/b3121/ with success. This is an approx 40 lb savings over stock. With the 20 I've lost, that's 60lbs+

The one in my 2003 530 is original believe it or not. Probably one day soon, it will die. I've been able to hedge some weight off the car (still weighs as much as a WW1 tank). Could this be a viable avenue to shed some more off, or am I asking to get stranded?

All opinions welcome
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    So I was a bit bored today, and was cruising one of the e39 M5 boards. There was a thread about light weight batteries. A few of them have used a 21lb battery from http://www.braillebattery.com/index....tteries/b3121/ with success. This is an approx 40 lb savings over stock. With the 20 I've lost, that's 60lbs+

The one in my 2003 530 is original believe it or not. Probably one day soon, it will die. I've been able to hedge some weight off the car (still weighs as much as a WW1 tank). Could this be a viable avenue to shed some more off, or am I asking to get stranded?

All opinions welcome
    I think it's a great option for a battery! And honestly, it doesn't cost too much more than a standard replacement.

The only thing I've heard is that you need to be careful of full discharges as they ruin the battery.

I think you want the Deka ETX30L. It's the same battery at 1/3 the price.

These dry cell glass matt batteries are favored by the racing crowd, along with other brands like the Odyssey. Although intended for power sport vehicles like Jet Ski's and ATV's, they work well in cars, too.

They hold their charge very well over time but can be destroyed if they are deep-discharged. And the life of the battery is shortened if consistently kept below full charge. If you park the car for more an extended period, either disconnect the negative cable or use a charger. All modern cars draw current when parked and these batteries will not last as long as a normal lead-acid battery.
    Scott Lowrey

I currently use and highly recommend the Deka ETX30L as well. Very cheap and reliable in my E46 M3.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I'll look into then

Braille just returned an e-mail stating they use the 21 lb battery in their e46 330i, with no issues
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    I'll look into then

Braille just returned an e-mail stating they use the 21 lb battery in their e46 330i, with no issues
    It would work fine. Especially with their profit margin on a battery they don't even make.

My car took to times to start today and I have a feeling of poor battery or is there something else I have to look for?
    This is 2004 Dec e46 and is my battery life almost over?
    do I have to replace it?
    If yes how much will that cost?
    Can I do it DIY?

Quote Originally Posted by kcbxt8 View Post
    My car took to times to start today and I have a feeling of poor battery or is there something else I have to look for?
    This is 2004 Dec e46 and is my battery life almost over?
    do I have to replace it?
    If yes how much will that cost?
    Can I do it DIY?
    No, the battery can't be replaced anywhere except at the dealer. It's a $500 labor charge because they have to remove the bumper and go in from the side.

that is really a silly reply....

Nick325's resopnse WAS left on April Fool's Day - I saw the winking icon!

kcbxt8 - If your car is an E46, check out:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com.
    The DIY section there has a long thread about Battery replacement.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Thread Information