Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Torque wrench loaner/rental?

Thread: Torque wrench loaner/rental?

Torque wrench loaner/rental?

Anyone know of any place in the area that loans or rents torque wrenches? I'm looking for one in the low end of the torque range (~10Nm) for the valve cover & VANOS seal replacement job I plan on doing.

Thanks,
    Anand

FWIW, the Craftsman 3/8" beam torque wrench (old school, no clicking) will go from 0-75 ft-lbs. for $25. Low precision, though.

I really want to buy this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=torque+wrench
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Napa... and I think Pep Boys rents tools out... actually loans.. as you get back your $ in full. if you want to keep,.. you just don't return it.

Bill
    96 Alpine M3: Comforti Injected, CAI, Borla Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, SSR Wheels w/Kumho Ecsta 225/40/18, Royal Purple Lubes, SS Brake Lines, ATE Super blue, Fan Deleted, BMWCoolant (30%+70% Distilled+purple Ice)

Arrow Have care with torque wrenches!

Torque wrenches are among the tools least desirable to loan out, because they can be rendered out of adjustment so easily - with a drop to the floor, or with it being used to UNDO a nut, plus just less than fastideous handling.

The whole idea of a torque wrench is to apply a precise amount of torque when you tighten your bolts, and as such it is recommended to have your torque wrench professionally recalibrated once per year.

I'm not sure that it is a good idea to borrow a wrench from someone or some business unless it can be proven to you that it is in calibration.

Just my tuppence worth...

Slainte,
    Alan
    DIYCom

When replacing my wheels recently, I torqued the first one to what I thought was 80 ft-lbs. Then I noticed I had set the ~10-yr old, never recalibrated, wrench to 60, not 80. So I set it at 80 and re-did wheel. No additional tightening occured. hmmm
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Agh, tell me about it. I'm doing a head gasket replacement, and the Bentley manual has values from 6-89 in-lbs. Even when converted to newton meters this takes at least 2 different torque wrenchs.

Anyhoo, I e-mailed Mike Miller last week. He says:

"In my opinion, S-K tools (Made in U.S.A.) are an excellent compromise between Snap-On, the high-end European tools like Facom, Hazet, Gedore, and the cheap Chinese junk at the low end. I starting with S-K as a teenager because they were sold locally -- not so anymore, of course, thanks to the big box auto stores and global trade. "

Here's a random google link to a vendor for their tools, http://www.superiorpaneltechnology.c...gory_s/155.htm. They are about on target for what sears/ craftsmas might charge for the same tool.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

The snap on torque wrenches don't require zeroing after use. That makes them FAR more valuable than anything else I've used.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Thread Information