Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Are you going to remain a BMW enthusiast? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you going to remain a BMW enthusiast?

Quote Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
    Your 1996 328 was a good value back at that time. But, look at how much a 330ci costs these days and what you get. I am speaking more in terms of the new generation of BMW's. Even when they become more affordable in price, I would still have no desire to own them b/c of the potential costs of maintaining them.
    You know what's funny? Things that were standard in the E36 coupe that didn't come standard in the E46 coupe. Like mine came with leather standard (I actually still have my window sticker from my car). The 330Ci has leather as an option (don't know if that still true-but when I looked at one it was an option).

The 325is and 328is came with a lot more than their E46 328Ci and 330Ci counterparts. Back then when you bought the higher level coupe you got more. Now it seems like you still have to pay for the goodies as options.

I think that I will always remain an enthusiast of the older body style BMWs. I must agree with you James, that when it comes to the new cars, I would be hard pressed to purchase a new one with the exception of the E46 M3. The new 5,7 and the upcoming E90 just aren't doing anything to inspire any desire to own them. The combination of their size and electronic everything is an approach that I'm not in league with.

In the future, I guess I will have to search for a used M3 or perhaps switch. I have been toying with the idea of a P-car for sometime. Perhaps in a few years, when I'm in the market, I will look for a 993 C2 or C4 or a 996 since they are coming down in price so much.

Who knows, maybe BMW will snap out of it and produce cars with a focus on fun to drive again instead of the have it now crowd.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Jed
    You know what's funny? Things that were standard in the E36 coupe that didn't come standard in the E46 coupe.
    It's all about reducing the base price they list in the ads.

BMW used to market to a different crowd than they do now. Now, they want everyone driving one.
    Ken K.|'03 Boxster

I seen this debate many times before on other forums. I used to frequent the Porsche forums when I was toying with purchasing an older 911. The same debate was also going on in those forums. "Has Porsche lost its way? The new cars are heavier, more expensive, no longer the value they once were, too refined, not for the enthusiest, etc." I have also seen similar complaints about the newer Corvettes.

Having said all of that, you also have to understand that each manufacturer produces cars that have different advantages and disadvantages based what they think "their customers" want. BMW is trying to position their cars as luxury performance cars. Give customers the luxury of a Mercedes or Lexus, with the handling and performance of a sports car.

The value of a particular vehicle is based on what you value as the user. If you want the ultimate in luxury, then buy a Mercedes. Want luxury and bullet proof reliability, then buy a Lexus. Reliablilty, near luxury, with reasonable street performance then buy an Acura. Cheap performance, then buy a Mustang. But if you want luxury for the daily commute, but still want to tear up the track on the weekends, then buy a BMW.

For me, a slightly used BMW is the best value in the market right now. The cars handle and drive great, are very comfortable, room for my family and stuff, and are still fully capable of going Autocrossing or to Summit Point on the weekends. For all of that, I am willing to live with "average" reliability backed up by my toolbox and occasionally a good mechanic.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Thread Information