Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Confirmation of 710's tire sizing

                  
   
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Evil Commonwealth
    Posts
    226

    Confirmation of 710's tire sizing

    Does anyone have a list of the tire sizes that the Kumho's will come in?

    I am trying to see if they will make a 265/35/18.

    I believe they will have a 245/40/18 tire size.

    Do you think they will last one season -- especially with dual driver's -- only SCCA, NE DIV II, and a few other events. So, maybe a total of 15 events with 2 drivers.

    Will I be better off getting Kumho 700's instead?

  2. #2
    Senior Member AlfaEric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    N. Potomac, MD
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
    Does anyone have a list of the tire sizes that the Kumho's will come in?

    I am trying to see if they will make a 265/35/18.

    I believe they will have a 245/40/18 tire size.

    Do you think they will last one season -- especially with dual driver's -- only SCCA, NE DIV II, and a few other events. So, maybe a total of 15 events with 2 drivers.

    Will I be better off getting Kumho 700's instead?
    Did you check the Kumho site?
    http://kumhousa.com/Products/PtnDeta...=1&PtnID=EV710

    ---Eric


    Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Evil Commonwealth
    Posts
    226
    I did; but, I SWORE there were more sizes than those just listed on Kumho's site. That is a VERY small initial offering, and, aren't those pretty weird sizes to begin with?

  4. #4
    Senior Member AlfaEric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    N. Potomac, MD
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
    I did; but, I SWORE there were more sizes than those just listed on Kumho's site. That is a VERY small initial offering, and, aren't those pretty weird sizes to begin with?
    Those are DEFINATELY weird sizes. They aren't even carrying a 14" tire!

    ---Eric


    Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

  5. #5
    Senior Member jkuper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Those are DEFINATELY weird sizes. They aren't even carrying a 14" tire!

    ---Eric
    What's weird about that?


    -- Jason

  6. #6
    Senior Member SMOODY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    277
    Check the TireRack website (www.tirerack.com). They list 7 different Kumho tires in the 265/35R18 size, but I did not see the 710s listed. They did have the ECSTA V700s available in regular, heat cycled and shaved.
    Last edited by SMOODY; 01-03-2005 at 05:14 PM.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

  7. #7
    Senior Member jkuper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    Check the TireRack website (www.tirerack.com). They list 7 different Kumho tires in the 265/35R18 size, but I did not see the 710s listed. They did have the ECSTA V700s available in regular, heat cycled and shaved.
    Someone on roadfly is selling a brand new set of Ecstas V700 in 265/35/18 for $600 I think, which is probably negotiable.


    -- Jason

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jkuper
    Someone on roadfly is selling a brand new set of Ecstas V700 in 265/35/18 for $600 I think, which is probably negotiable.
    Run away! Run away! Save yourselves!
    Ken K.|'03 Boxster

  9. #9
    Senior Member jkuper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by kenkamm
    Run away! Run away! Save yourselves!
    Why, is your club not accepting new members?


    -- Jason

  10. #10
    Senior Member bren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Timonium
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by jkuper
    Someone on roadfly is selling a brand new set of Ecstas V700 in 265/35/18 for $600 I think, which is probably negotiable.
    You can get the Dunlop or Pirelli R's for less than that brand new.

  11. #11
    Senior Member FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Posts
    113
    I haven't drive on 710s, but I highly doubt they will last 15x8= 120 runs. You might want to budget for two sets of tires, or go with RA-1s.
    Fatih

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Evil Commonwealth
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by FT
    I haven't drive on 710s, but I highly doubt they will last 15x8= 120 runs. You might want to budget for two sets of tires, or go with RA-1s.
    Thanks FT. Do you guys think the Kumho 700's would last that long?

    It's a toss-up right now. I was thinking maybe purchasing the dunlop super sport races for raindy days and 700's for dry.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Evil Commonwealth
    Posts
    226
    I remember JV saying that the V700's are not good tires for heavy cars. They overheat and get greasy very quickly. That does not bode well. I am wondering FT, if you think RA-1's or Dunlop SS's would be better in the long run then. If the V700's overheat and get greasy -- that would not be good with co-drivers.

    Any idea on pricing of V710's anyone? Comparable to V700's or more expensive?

    Found it ... here's what was posted on another site.

    The first 5 are coming soon

    215 - 50 - 13
    195 - 55 - 14
    205 - 55 - 14
    225 - 50 - 14
    225 - 50 - 15

    Coming this Spring

    225 - 50 - 16
    245 - 45 - 17
    245 - 35 - 18
    285 - 30 - 18

    A 255/40 Victo is 24.8" in diameter at 27 lbs per tire; the 275/40 710 is 25.4" in diameter at 25 lbs per tire; 295/40 710 is 26.1" in diameter at 26 lbs.

    I believe JD said that the 245/40 and 255/40 will not be coming until the third quarter.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    9
    James,

    Avoid the Ecstas. From first hand experience with the Ecsta, and talking to Nick about the RA-1 (and driving it myself on Nick's car), it really seems that the Ecstas don't work as well on our cars as the RA-1, and don't last as long either.

    I would drop Nick a PM. He has probably gone through a few sets of RA-1s by now and can give you some more detail on their wear characteristics on an E46 M3.
    Ken K.|'03 Boxster

  15. #15
    The Ecstas were probably bought from TireRack or Rogue when Tire Rack blew them out.

    Tire Rack sold them for something like $72 each. Rogue bought a bunch and sold them for $80.

    If you want to spend close to $600, I have a set of 4 I would let you have for $500.

    I got them for track rain tires.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Local shop for Tire Shaving?
    By SharkD in forum HPDE sponsored by Specr53.com
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 07:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •