Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
DIY info please

Thread: DIY info please

DIY info please

Hello,

I'm new to the club and DIYs, even though I've been a member for a little over a year. I now have a new-to-me E46 M3 that I would like to start doing maintenance on during the DIYs the club has made available.

The first thing I would like to do is replace several commonly failing bushings on my vehicle as a preventative measure, and since I will hopefully be employing the use of a lift at CCC for this, perform a detailed subframe inspection looking for potential problem areas from previous ownership.

I haven't made a full list of things to do yet, and of course I want to start easy and work my way into this. I am thinking the rear trailing arm bushings and front control arm bushings would be my first stop on the DIY path. I would like to sign up for the 3/14 DIY to do these. Before I do so, a few questions:

-I noticed the provisions for purchasing DIY materials from the event sponsor. I understand the reason for doing so, but since I would like to use the OEM bushings is there any reason I can't just order them from Tischer, or would that run afoul of the spirit of the DIYs? (I don't even know if CCC will order BMW parts, please help me here).

-I see the provisions of bringing my own tools, and I have several, but I would need the special tools for this. Who do I contact? I keep seeing a name mentioned but I cannot find an email address.

Please advise! Thanks
    -Mike

Arrow DIY Info

Mike,

Please read all the information carefully prepared for you over three years by the DIY Committee. That is, go to our NCC Chapter website, then:
    • Click on Chapter Programs
    • Click on DIY
    • Read the entire "DIY - General Information"
    We believe that almost everything you need to know about our DIYs is covered in that document. If not, and you still have questions, please let us know.

After reading the "DIY - General Information", you may want to try our FAQ (Frequently Asked [and Answered] Questions) as reminders.

If you want to register for DIY #3 at Convenience Car Care on March 14th, please register as soon as registration opens, since we'll make a few changes for that event which may limit the number of members accommodated.

Slainte,
    Alan, DIY #3 Coordinator
    2009 DIY Chair

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to the club and DIYs, even though I've been a member for a little over a year. I now have a new-to-me E46 M3 that I would like to start doing maintenance on during the DIYs the club has made available.

The first thing I would like to do is replace several commonly failing bushings on my vehicle as a preventative measure, and since I will hopefully be employing the use of a lift at CCC for this, perform a detailed subframe inspection looking for potential problem areas from previous ownership.

I haven't made a full list of things to do yet, and of course I want to start easy and work my way into this. I am thinking the rear trailing arm bushings and front control arm bushings would be my first stop on the DIY path. I would like to sign up for the 3/14 DIY to do these. Before I do so, a few questions:

-I noticed the provisions for purchasing DIY materials from the event sponsor. I understand the reason for doing so, but since I would like to use the OEM bushings is there any reason I can't just order them from Tischer, or would that run afoul of the spirit of the DIYs? (I don't even know if CCC will order BMW parts, please help me here).

-I see the provisions of bringing my own tools, and I have several, but I would need the special tools for this. Who do I contact? I keep seeing a name mentioned but I cannot find an email address.

Please advise! Thanks
    -Mike
    Mike,

Please see the Special Tool Posting on the main page for info on renting the tools for the DIY. If you have any additional questions, there is a link in the article for contacting me, or you can send me a PM. Thanks.

Tony

OK, last question, as asked above: I would want to work with the sponsor, but do they even have BMW bushings? I want to order my bushings soon to make sure they arrive in time. I am planning on just ordering from Tischer, are there any issues with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    OK, last question, as asked above: I would want to work with the sponsor, but do they even have BMW bushings? I want to order my bushings soon to make sure they arrive in time. I am planning on just ordering from Tischer, are there any issues with that?
    yes, they can order OEM parts, but you may find that there are aftermarket bushings that are better than OEM. i just had my subframe bushings replaced at last week's DIY (using the special tool) and went with the ireland engineering ones which should last for the life of the car.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Thread Information