Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
NCC DIY Program Special Tools
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NCC DIY Program Special Tools

Arrow NCC DIY Program Special Tools

Folks,

Last year the DIY Committee established a Special Tools program, headed by Tony McMullan. We budgeted 2008 funds and bought several useful Special Tools, and are in the process of expanding our program in 2009. You soon should see an article on our Special Tools program, both on our DIY website and in der Bayerische.

In meantime, we direct your attention to our DIY website's "DIY - General Information", in which we clearly state that our Spercial Tools may be rented ONLY at our DIYs. There are many sensible reasons for this, and this policy is unanimous and non-negotiable.

We encourage our members to plan ahead and let Tony McMullan or me know about using any Special Tool - one we currently have or a new one to consider buying.

Thanks for your continuing interest and support.

Alan
    DIY program chair

It seems silly not to have the specialty tool available for members' use between formal DIYs. Maybe if a significant deposit was put down?
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

No kidding. Take a deposit for full value of the tool to rent it out.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

These tools were purchased for use by club members at DIY events. The tools must always be available for the DIY events days. If the tool were to be rented outside the DIY event day, there is always the provability that the tool may not be available for the DIY event; especially if an unforeseen issue is encountered. This would also place a logistics burden on administrating such a plan.

Thank you for your continued support of the DIY program, Oscar.

said tool was used this past weekend on my car at the DIY and it went very smoothly. great idea from the DIY committee and very beneficial to club members. i'd highly recommend that you plan to use the tool at the next DIY (check to see when registration opens b/c these events tend to fill up way in advance).
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Cool

Gents, the agreement between The BOD and The DIY Committee is that all special tools would only be used at DIY's. In the past the club's special tools program history was abismal in that we lost every tool the club purchased, including a few computers that were club purchased. The only way the BOD would allow a special tools program to be revamped is if it provided certain provisions which included the use and safe guard of all tools by The DIY Committee with NO EXCEPTIONS. Thank you for your understanding.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

How about a member to member loaner program? I'm about to purchase double vanos timing tools, and would loan them out with a deposit.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    How about a member to member loaner program? I'm about to purchase double vanos timing tools, and would loan them out with a deposit.
    If you want, I've already got them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
    Gents, the agreement between The BOD and The DIY Committee is that all special tools would only be used at DIY's. In the past the club's special tools program history was abismal in that we lost every tool the club purchased, including a few computers that were club purchased. The only way the BOD would allow a special tools program to be revamped is if it provided certain provisions which included the use and safe guard of all tools by The DIY Committee with NO EXCEPTIONS. Thank you for your understanding.
    Why this couldn't be managed with a 100% deposit requirement is absolutely beyond me.

I hear you, but disagree very strongly. Special tools lose 90% of their value if they can only be used under certain very rare and restricted circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Why this couldn't be managed with a 100% deposit requirement is absolutely beyond me.

I hear you, but disagree very strongly. Special tools lose 90% of their value if they can only be used under certain very rare and restricted circumstances.
    The DIY's are great events that I believe add value to the use of the tools. At the DIY's you have the use of a lift, experienced mechanics, and fellow BMW enthusiasts to assist. Also, I would not say that the DIY's are rare. They are held once a month and we have two scheduled for some months.

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
    In addition to losing the tools, we also need to be concerned about tool breaking or wearing out prematurely due to misuse. At the DIY's, we can ensure that the tools are used properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    In addition to losing the tools, we also need to be concerned about tool breaking or wearing out prematurely due to misuse. At the DIY's, we can ensure that the tools are used properly.
    I don't say to change your policy, but give members a little more credit please. After all, it is their money too.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    Isn't that what the deposit is for?

Wow, I feel so trusted.

How hard is it to collect a deposit and/or have a sign out sheet? Borrowers are responsible to have a tool replaced before some date (like the next DIY) event.

Please remember that some members are a bit further afield and yet still are active DIYers.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Cool

Is there a proposal coming forth to the Board of Directors meeting to establish an NCC Special Tools Program, not related to the DIY committee's special tools program that a member of the club is willing to Chair and manage. Manage: meaning; collect revenue, store tools, re-supply worn out tools, deliver tools and collect tools. The chapter relies on volunteers to manage programs. The Board of Director's needs a proposal presented at a BOD meeting. BOD meetings are held evey second Wednesday at 7:00PM. Who's up for the task?
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Thread Information