Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Question about DIY Event

Thread: Question about DIY Event

Question about DIY Event

I've never been to a DIY event. Are these events meant purely for preventative maintenance? I am looking to install a complete aftermarket exhaust system, and I'd love the chance to do it myself. However, crawling under the car in my driveway while wrestling with a 100 lb exhaust system doesn't excite me too much. Thnx for the info on this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
    I've never been to a DIY event. Are these events meant purely for preventative maintenance? I am looking to install a complete aftermarket exhaust system, and I'd love the chance to do it myself. However, crawling under the car in my driveway while wrestling with a 100 lb exhaust system doesn't excite me too much. Thnx for the info on this!!
    That sounds like a fantastic project.

When you say full exhaust, do you mean headers, cat/midpipe, and catback? Headers could be a bit much for a DIY considering that it is sometimes necessary to loosen the front crossmember. And then there are the sheared off studs when you can't get them off.

If it's just a cat/mid + catback, it sounds like a very DIY friendly project.

I suggest that you purchase all new mounting hardware. I'm not sure what vehicle you're working on, but I can help you put together a list of the random nuts bolts that you should replace.

Arrow Yrofthe1 Exhaust @ DIY

Year of the One,

Recommend you plan to visit DIY #2 on February 14th at Convenience Car Care in Manassas, VA. There you will be able to gauge if our DIY events are in line with what you would like to do. Were I a betting man, I'd give great odds that you will say Yes!

While there you'll also have an opportunity to talk with their parts people about the possibility of their obtaining the exhaust parts of your choice at an attractive price, for installation at DIY #3 at CCC on March 14th, or at a later DIY.

Please see me first when you arrive at Convenience Car Care, since you will have to sign a release form before going onto the shop floor. There is no fee, and you can stop by CCC any time between 9:30 AM and 1:30 PM.

Hope to see you there.

Alan
    DIYCom

Thanks for the replies guys. The exhaust system is a full turbo-back going into a 2008 135i. There shouldn't be any need to remove cross members for this job. I primarily need a vehicle lift and some tools I may not have. There are plenty of guys on 1addicts that have done this in a half a day in their driveway. The hardest parts I've heard are wrestling down the stock exhaust, which weighs quite a bit, and getting to the torx bolts holding the downpipes to the turbo manifold. Other than that, it is a bolt-on project. I will be stopping by CCC tomorrow!

Thread Information