Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Was MINI; now "Coachbuilt"

Thread: Was MINI; now "Coachbuilt"

Thumbs up Was MINI; now "Coachbuilt"

Motoring enthusiasts,

Please be aware that Morgan has never had a wooden chassis; all Morgans from 1909 to this day have a metal chassis (steel on the "traditionals", aluminum on the Aero Eights and Aeromax.

Morgans have always had a wooden frame - like your family sofa. This Belgian Ash frame sits on the metal chassis, and is effectively the body skeleton for the cockpit. A smaller wooden frame continues to this day in the Aero Eight and the Aeromax models. British tradition, old chap!

The tradition of building a metal body around a wooden frame is referred to as a "coachbuilt" car. Morgan is the sole remaining coachbuilt car produced in the world - the last previously remaining coachbuilt car was the special model for Queen Elizabeth's previous parade car, which has been replaced with an all metal car.

While not an expert in wooden chassis cars, I believe that the last car with a wooden chassis was a Marcos.

More than you wanted to know, eh?

Slainte,
    Alan

P.S. For some photos of coachbuilt Morgans, please see morgan-motor.co.uk, which is celebrating its Centenary this year.

I touched a nerve?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

I guess Alan knows what he's talking about. There's an article in the latest issue of Sports & Exotic Car magazine about restoration of Morgans. There's a quote from a book on the subject: "Would you really leave the ash frame with only paint for weather protection, as it was until 1968? Would you leave the steel chassis quite bare and crying out for rust?. . . "

I never thought about a difference between chassis and frame.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    I never thought about a difference between chassis and frame.
    When is the last time you saw a terminate eat through steel? Then again, I don't think I ever saw wood rust.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thread Information