Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E36 trailing arm bushing

Thread: E36 trailing arm bushing

E36 trailing arm bushing

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...g_arm_bush.pdf

Joel Bossert told me about some bushings for the E36 rear trailing arms. Is this the favored part by others that have replaced their bushings already (Or if you see this Joel, is this what you were talking about)? I believe I heard the Delrin (sp?) disintergrates. On the other hand, I do carry Sammy and Robby around in Vader so I don't want anything that negates Vader for street use.

Boy! with new bushings, fresh oil, and maybe a bit tighter setting on the Konis, Vader is gonna be sweeter than ever in 2009! I might even spring for some tires LOL!
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

I've never heard that Delrin deteriorates anywhere near as fast as the OEM rubber bushings. I would think the all metal bushings shown by Turner are great in a race car, but noisy and harsh in a mostly street car.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Hey Woody.

I might have thought so too, but if these are what Joel was talking about, he said there was no added harshness in ride. He likened them to monoballs or hiem joints (sp?) that allowed full range of motion, but not squish.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    Hey Woody.

I might have thought so too, but if these are what Joel was talking about, he said there was no added harshness in ride. He likened them to monoballs or hiem joints (sp?) that allowed full range of motion, but not squish.
    The important thing is to get you back on the track in a real car instead of that red VW. . . or is it a Porsche?
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    The important thing is to get you back on the track in a real car instead of that red VW. . . or is it a Porsche?
    Don't be hate'n.

OK, I ordered the Powerflex trailing arm bushings.

Now Woody, remember about being careful what you wish for when Vader is filling your mirrors. ;op
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    Don't be hate'n.

OK, I ordered the Powerflex trailing arm bushings.

Now Woody, remember about being careful what you wish for when Vader is filling your mirrors. ;op

Oh boy, Vadar, chasing the Fugly Coupe, this ought to be fun to watch.

No comment on the Red Baron!
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Quote Originally Posted by Real M3 View Post
    Oh boy, Vadar, chasing the Fugly Coupe, this ought to be fun to watch.
    Chuck, sign up for a ride now. Seats will fill up fast.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

I put in the Powerflex bushings this evening. Those tabs are a pain to pound into the right shape to fit in the press! Thanks Joel, if you ever check this board. The press you lent me was just the trick. In the last year I have done all the front bushings and now the rtabs with Powerflex. I am excited to have an M3 that is not a mess.

Woody, I am gonna call Paul to order up some RA1s this week so I hope you can spare some time to drive Vader at the next event and let me know if you have any setup tips.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Jenson,
    Sorry, haven't been checking the board regularly.
    Glad to hear the tool helped and you got new bushings in. I'm sure you will be impressed with the new feel of the car.

FWIW, I tried the delrin's and was not happy, they were too rigid and did not allow suspension movement in all the needed (compound) directions. I ran them for a while, removed them when the lube ran dry and they started to bind.

I replaced them with T.C. Kline monoballs, which I like a lot. They have better feel, are smoother, quieter, and have a *better* ride than the delrins, which surprised me. Excellent track feel with the monoballs.
    Give them a try if you track your E36 often, and don't mind a bit of extra noise on the road (not that bad, really).

The powerflex should tighten things up nicely. The only rap on them is the regular need for re-lubing or they will start to squeek. Never tried them myself.

Wish my last name was Bossert, I would call Gary up for some parts and advice.....

Joel Bossard
    Joel Bossard
    ---------------------------------------------
    1998 M3/4, Silver driver
    2002 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 6-speed hauler
    2006 VW Jetta TDI commuter

Quote Originally Posted by slantsixm3 View Post
    Jenson,
    Sorry, haven't been checking the board regularly.
    Glad to hear the tool helped and you got new bushings in. I'm sure you will be impressed with the new feel of the car.

FWIW, I tried the delrin's and was not happy, they were too rigid and did not allow suspension movement in all the needed (compound) directions. I ran them for a while, removed them when the lube ran dry and they started to bind.

I replaced them with T.C. Kline monoballs, which I like a lot. They have better feel, are smoother, quieter, and have a *better* ride than the delrins, which surprised me. Excellent track feel with the monoballs.
    Give them a try if you track your E36 often, and don't mind a bit of extra noise on the road (not that bad, really).

The powerflex should tighten things up nicely. The only rap on them is the regular need for re-lubing or they will start to squeek. Never tried them myself.

Wish my last name was Bossert, I would call Gary up for some parts and advice.....

Joel Bossard
    Hey Joel,
    Sorry for the spelling snafu. I thought you mentioned a Monoball setup, but the community here and on other boards scared me away from going that route. I was shown pictures of ripped out chassis bolts and read horror stories of people having failing suspensions entering t1 at Summit. EEEEk! Did you get your chassis holes welded around the remaining 90 degrees where the factory skipped it?
    I heard my Powerflexs groan once on my 1st test drive while getting nearly weightless on a back road. Nolte suggested spraying some Amsoild heavy duty MP up there is the squeeks continue. Other than that, I am just relieved to have some rear end geometry back. It took me several turns to get used to not requiring several inputs to situate the rear.
    As for the tool, it was just the ticket. I believe I have 1, maybe two cars to service now that the owners know I have the tool, the lift, and experience. Oh well.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Bob(Jenson)-
    The is some basis for concern about the rear mounts. I believe Vader is a '95, correct? No, your .sig say '97. anyhow, 95's differed from the later models, as later cars got more reinforcement in this area, and it is less of a concern. My car is a '98.
    I also believe suspension and ride height make a difference. I was on stock suspension till '07, when I installed a TCK coilover kit, monoball RTABs followed a year later.
    I also believe that lowered cars place excessive stress on these pieces when they bottom out, which happens more often than people realize. My car is still within 1/2" of stock ride height.
    To not tempt the fates, I hope to have the whole rear suspension/subframe of my car updated this winter, including a careful check ofthe RTAB mounts and any supplimental welding recommended by RRT.
    Glad to hear the tools is being used! Keep it up!
    Maybe one day Marc Plante will hear that his old tool is being used exactly as he asked me to (pass it around the club and keep it busy).
    Joel Bossard
    ---------------------------------------------
    1998 M3/4, Silver driver
    2002 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 6-speed hauler
    2006 VW Jetta TDI commuter

That is interesting about the post 95 M3s having some reinforcement in that area. My car is stock with the exception of Konis, but I have them adjusted in the middle which I feel fairly well replicates healthy OEM shocks. I have no lowering or different sway bars.

Maybe if you are interested, we could trade cars for a session to feel how the set-ups compare. I'd play nice ;o) Anyway, thats for the advice and of course the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by slantsixm3 View Post
    Bob(Jenson)-
    The is some basis for concern about the rear mounts. I believe Vader is a '95, correct? No, your .sig say '97. anyhow, 95's differed from the later models, as later cars got more reinforcement in this area, and it is less of a concern. My car is a '98.
    I also believe suspension and ride height make a difference. I was on stock suspension till '07, when I installed a TCK coilover kit, monoball RTABs followed a year later.
    I also believe that lowered cars place excessive stress on these pieces when they bottom out, which happens more often than people realize. My car is still within 1/2" of stock ride height.
    To not tempt the fates, I hope to have the whole rear suspension/subframe of my car updated this winter, including a careful check ofthe RTAB mounts and any supplimental welding recommended by RRT.
    Glad to hear the tools is being used! Keep it up!
    Maybe one day Marc Plante will hear that his old tool is being used exactly as he asked me to (pass it around the club and keep it busy).
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Thread Information