Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) Summit Point TSP Impressions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (2009) Summit Point TSP Impressions

(2009) Summit Point TSP Impressions

For those who attended the Summit Point TSP design time today, please take a moment to post a few comments.

I'm excited to use this new venue, and I'm pretty sure you are too!

It was great fun! I look forward to next time.

Thanks Jonathan for the invite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyl5vQZS5YA

Video above for those who missed it.

I was a bit cautious because Craig and I saw them pulling some dude out of the dirt mid December, and, although the soil was hard enough probably to drive on this time, the thought of going into the dirt was a bit daunting.

The actual course was cool after we worked out the kinks. I liked the differences in traction due to the dirt and water, and all in all just wanted to be able to push it more, like I might in an open parking lot without potential for going off road.

I really wanted to thank Summit Point, and of course, our guys Jonathan and Bogdan for working on obtaining this new venue. Apparently it is not inexpensive, so it is incumbent on us to create good turnouts at the events later this year.
    Last edited by noelleslie; 01-10-2009 at 11:58 PM.

I departed early and the sleet came just as I hit the public road. So I only missed being able to retrieve the cones. The facility will allow for 1-minute courses and at least two cars on course at the same time. Like autocrossing on a kart track, a little extra caution will be necessary compared to a wide open parking lot. The negatives for now are a lack of a paddock and good spectator viewing. The facility is 1,300 long, and a hike to the hillside half way down on the east side will afford excellent viewing. A paddock on the west side of the facility is in the planning stages.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

It will definitely be a great venue this year, I wasn't speaking bad about the course in my previous post, just my initial thoughts partially due to the fact that it was wet, cold and dusty.. not the best setup when driving in snow tires trying to stay out of the dirt. Too bad we can't also use it for some skid pad events too... it just begs for it.

It was pretty awesome just taking off from the beginning and making about 60 (since they reduced the straight away). I think Bogdan was probably at about 100 when he tested the first design in his new M3. His M# chirped the wheels every time in the 2nd to 3rd shift, and it sounded awesome.

Definitely, from the top of the hill, the view will be unlike any other autocross event we have.

The coolest thing though, is it will look like a serious course with the racing curbing installed when it is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by noelleslie View Post
    It was pretty awesome just taking off from the beginning and making about 60 (since they reduced the straight away). I think Bogdan was probably at about 100 when he tested the first design in his new M3. His M# chirped the wheels every time in the 2nd to 3rd shift, and it sounded awesome.
    Be careful you don't turn it into a TT.

When laying out a course, the size of the vehicles competing should be taken in consideration as well as site conditions. A. Courses must be tight enough so that cars run the entire course in their lower gears. Speeds on straight stretches should not normally exceed highway speed (60 mph) for the fastest Stock and Street Prepared category cars. The fastest portions of the course shall be those most remote from spectators and property. Turns should not normally allow speeds in excess of 45 mph in unprepared cars. These guidelines should be adjusted downward when site conditions will not safely support the speeds indicated above
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    Be careful you don't turn it into a TT.
    After we fixed it, I didn't leave 2nd in my M3. Trust me, we know the rules and keep it safe.

I think it will be a lot of fun with almost any course we can come up with... I didn't come close to getting out of 2nd once the course was adjusted. The facility has much more elevation change in it than I expected. It will definitely be a unique venue for years to come once they completely finish it.

It would be fun to run it NASCAR-style; if you ignore the center part of it, it is similar to Martinsville.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    After we fixed it, I didn't leave 2nd in my M3. Trust me, we know the rules and keep it safe.
    +1

I kept it in 2nd the whole time. according to my GPS, my max speed with right at 59-ish on the revised course.

Great course! I can't wait to run it for real without water and dirt all over it!

Any chance of a round #2 for planning? The owner (can't remember his name) said we can and I know you want to drive the coupe on it! (btw: you could have driven mine any time you wanted to. You know that, right?)
    Last edited by gbauer; 01-12-2009 at 11:23 AM.

What traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    It would be fun to run it NASCAR-style; if you ignore the center part of it, it is similar to Martinsville.
    I could DEFINITELY see some idiot (probably me) running off the course if we did that...

What traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
    Any chance of a round #2 for planning?
    Yes. I've got another course design that I want to try. Probably in Feb sometime.

The owner (can't remember his name) said we can and I know you want to drive the coupe on it!
    His name is Jens and he heads up the special project. I don't think he's an owner, but not sure.

you could have driven mine any time you wanted to. You know that, right?
    I knew you would let me if I asked. It's nice to drive a predictable car every once in awhile. Although, there were lots of times where I was saying, damn, I wish I had some more go.

First you have to be able to make a 318 stick Jonathan, then you move up

Quote Originally Posted by Scany View Post
    First you have to be able to make a 318 stick Jonathan, then you move up
    LOL ... I think I need more time in the bumblebee ... that's a fun, underpowered sucker.

His name is Jens and he heads up the special project. I don't think he's an owner, but not sure.
    Jens Scott, son of Summit Point owner Bill Scott.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

LOL ... I think I need more time in the bumblebee ... that's a fun, underpowered sucker.
    LOL you're not getting any favors from the engine compartment, that's for sure.

Thread Information