Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
2001 330Ci Spark Plug Change

Thread: 2001 330Ci Spark Plug Change

Question 2001 330Ci Spark Plug Change

A local dealer's shop gave me a quote of $264.00 to change my spark plugs. I just purchased the car with 62K miles on it. I haven't attempted a spark plug change on an E46 yet. I've done a few E36's with no problem. The quote seems REALLY high.

Has anyone done this? Glancing under the hood, the job looks very simple, but for the price quoted, I'm wondering if there are any potential pitfalls I need to know about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by 330Coupe; 01-06-2005 at 12:45 PM. Reason: I found more information.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65380

Sorry - saw this among the "similar threads" links at the bottom of the page, but didn't note the date of original post!
    Last edited by John in VA; 03-06-2009 at 09:51 PM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

It's a pretty straightforward job ... easily DIY'able.

Just the usual stuff. Use anti seize on the threads, torque properly, don't cross thread...

Check for oil around plugs. The valve cover gaskets are prone to leak around the spark plugs with the M54 (which I think you have, or a generation of).
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    Just the usual stuff. Use anti seize on the threads, torque properly, don't cross thread...

Check for oil around plugs. The valve cover gaskets are prone to leak around the spark plugs with the M54 (which I think you have, or a generation of).
    BMW explicitly states that you are NOT to use antiseize. Anti-seize increases the tightness for a given torque value, which makes thread failure more likely. Especially in the butter soft aluminum M54 head.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    BMW explicitly states that you are NOT to use antiseize. Anti-seize increases the tightness for a given torque value, which makes thread failure more likely. Especially in the butter soft aluminum M54 head.

Hmmm... now that's odd the Bentley manual states to uses a copper-based anit-seize compound, start threading the plugs by hand, torque to 18 ft-lbs

Maybe it's a miss print
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    this applies to all engines? (s52)

hey nick, i think you came to my house once and looked at the 87 325is I had for sale. you had a xi wagon right?

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    Hmmm... now that's odd the Bentley manual states to uses a copper-based anit-seize compound, start threading the plugs by hand, torque to 18 ft-lbs

Maybe it's a miss print
    Odd? thats ridiculous! dry aluminum threads are usually WHY they strip! Just torque them less! actually not a big deal, since plugs are rarely changed anymore, lessening thread wear.

Thread Information