Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Driving school seat and restraint requirements?

Thread: Driving school seat and restraint requirements?

Driving school seat and restraint requirements?

I am trying to determine the Driving School requirements for seat and restraints. The only info I can find is in the Tech Inspection Form in the Grid Inspection section - E, that reads "equal restraints provided".

I am installing a roll bar and new seats for the E30 and my question is, do I have to have the same 2 seats for driver and instructor and the same 5 point harness OR do I have to provide only the "equal restraints provided" which means the five point harness on each seat but those seats can be different types of seats.

Can I have 2 different types of Kirkey seats (say a deluxe for driver and intermediate for passenger) or say two types of Sparco seats (Corso for driver and a Tech seat for passenger) and mount a five point harness on each seat and be in compliance with Driving School requirements?
    John Rock

follow the E30 track car build . . .
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681791

I guess it depends on how fast you want to be solo'd.

I've seen mixed seats before...you may be an incredibly small or large guy, there's no reason you shouldn't provide an "average" size person seat on the passenger side.

Seriously,

I would compare things like, harness points, FIA approval, harness connection locations, be sure all the components are up to date and meet the current standard and you should be fine.

Perhaps an email to NCC's Chief Instructor would be a good idea as well.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Banned
    BTW unless things have changed the NCC's chief instructor has an E30325is.

Dave Apker and the collies

I got two different Corbeau seats (large and medium) with 6pt harness and the factory 3pt. I guess the instructor may choose But I guess thats what they mean. If you set up for 6pt for driver, the passenger needs equal restraint. I havent had it on the track in this state yet though.

You need to contact Pete Read, the new CI.
    Email sent by PM.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 12-30-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Definitely contact Pete before proceeding. NCC has some very restrictive Equal rules. Even HANS must be for both student and Instructor!
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    Definitely contact Pete before proceeding. NCC has some very restrictive Equal rules. Even HANS must be for both student and Instructor!
    Wow! Really? You need to provide the passenger with a HANS device? Is this also the requirement for Tarheel? All the sudden a drivers school got $700 more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Scany View Post
    Wow! Really? You need to provide the passenger with a HANS device? Is this also the requirement for Tarheel? All the sudden a drivers school got $700 more expensive.
    No, you don't have to provide your instructor a HANS but contact Pete whether you can use one if your instructor doesn't have one.

And no, I'm sure Tarheel nor another other chapter have such a rule.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    No, you don't have to provide your instructor a HANS but contact Pete whether you can use one if your instructor doesn't have one.

And no, I'm sure Tarheel nor another other chapter have such a rule.
    I see. Thanks!

Hey Button remember this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post

Go Peds are EVIL!!!!!
    Wear your HANS when riding that thing . . . .
    John Rock

Thanks for all the replys. I contacted Pete and Bill and both said the same - equal restraints (seats and harness) for both driver and instructor.

I posed the same question to 2 of my SCCA PDX contacts. Their answers were very insightful and I thought worth sharing for entertainment purposes!

1. I would suggest the same seats and harnesses exactly. If something happened to the passenger and you were OK, you may feel that your seat was “Better” and would have been enough to protect them as well as it did you. It helps keep people from pointing fingers and asking “What-If” questions after an incident. Understand my take on the situation? If anything the better seat should be on the passenger side IMHO - Ron

2. Considering the driver, I'd put a milk crate & rope on the driver's side and a full ALMS seat & six point harness with blinders on the passenger side (Hah!) - AJ

Good to have racing friends with good wisdom and good sense of humor!!!
    Last edited by roxstuff; 01-15-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    John Rock

Quote Originally Posted by roxstuff View Post
    Go Peds are EVIL!!!!!
    Wear your HANS when riding that thing . . . .
    It is a poor carpenter that blames his hammer. ;op
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Thread Information