Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Passport BMW - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Passport BMW

hopefully, we'll get more opinions than the few who already posted.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

While not nearly as close to me as the Virginia locations for our board meetings the last 3 years, I don't think any of us should complain about a spot within a couple of minutes of the DC Beltway. Okay, Baltimore people can complain.

I think the collie guy's perception of Passport being in an unsafe neighborhood is totally unfounded.

I completely agree we should not refer to Passport, or any other dealer, as our "flagship". At one time or another they have all supported our chapter in one way or another. This will always be in a state of flux.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I'm all for helping dealers who help the club, and I appreciate Passport's willingness to go the extra mile. On the other hand, I think it's a bad idea to confer any elevated status upon a dealer, as I feel it would almost certainly damage our relationships with others. I can really only echo Jonathan's sentiments there. Good stuff.

Also seems most of the area crime is of the theft/break-in variety (link here). Certainly better than a little further north up Branch Ave (although that Metro stop is consistently in the top ten for crime).
    :: Paul ::
    www.tenfifteen.net

I think the boardmeetings/socials are great are just fine the way they are now.

Also I don't agree with making one dealer our flagship even if they were throwing more support our way because one dealer will never be everything to everybody at least in this area.

Marlon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    While not nearly as close to me as the Virginia locations for our board meetings the last 3 years, I don't think any of us should complain about a spot within a couple of minutes of the DC Beltway. Okay, Baltimore people can complain.

I think the collie guy's perception of Passport being in an unsafe neighborhood is totally unfounded.

I completely agree we should not refer to Passport, or any other dealer, as our "flagship". At one time or another they have all supported our chapter in one way or another. This will always be in a state of flux.
    Iverson Mall is around the corner multiple robberies, shootings, carjackings
    have occurred within a 2 mile radius of Passport. Back a couple years ago
    2 ladies in there 70's were murdered in their flower shop in broad daylight in a robbery. Area has always been high crime because is just over the border with DC.

Used to hit a great steak and cheese shop in that area when I worked at the Washington Navy Yard and I grew up not to far from there in PG Cty.
    My uncle a retired PG Circuit Court judge lives about three miles as the crow flies from Passport.

Dave Apker and the collies

Passport BMW could be a sponsor for our NCC driving schools and maybe bring out vehicles to show off at our driving school events. That would be a great way for them to foster new relationships. DIYs and BBQs are also a great way to become active as a club sponsor. I am all for fostering new relationships in these tough economic times. Who is the point of contact at Passport BMW?
    Tom Buchanan
    BMW CCA Instructor
    ============================================
    1999 M3 (Track Rat)
    2002 540i 6-speed (My Car)
    1999 Acura 3.2 TL (Wife's Car)
    2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Family Mobile and Tow Vehicle)

Every place the "board" chooses has been

way off my beaten path. I go past Passport on my way to somewhere south in VA where the past years meetings have been. I spent 2 - 3 hours getting to and from past meetings.

Passport has supported NCC over the years during both good and bad times. As a former sales person and service manager for them, I worked hard to promote the value of NCC enrolment with the dealership and they were very receptive.

In the current economy I would think having the support of a "flagship dealer", or any other dealer for that matter would be challenging. I think the real challenge here is to give the appearance that the club aligns itself or favors one dealer over the others.

The club, and/or it's ambassadors have always worked to encourage and market itself to all the local dealerships. However, many area dealers have not always readily stepped up to the plate where-as Passport has. Therefore, if another dealer feels slighted, it's up to them to get involved and up to those in the club to help them do so.

Keep in mind also, that some dealers see the club as only being concerned with discounts and the use of their equipment and are thus less inclined to open their bay doors to support things such as DIY. This is further exasperated when members show-up, bringing their own parts, and buy nothing from the dealers parts dept.. which in some cases is open that day to support the club activity being hosted. Don't get me wrong..bringing your own parts is clearly understood when we're talking about items not normally supplied by the dealer..etc. However, if you're changing stock brake pads, oil filters, wipers etc.. it may go a long way to purchase these items from the hosting dealer at the club discount.

As far as distance.. oh well, so those in VA will have to come across Woodrow Wilson. It beats going to Sterling or Manassas in my opinion. For many I'm sure. Passport is right off the beltway.. and very accessible.

Some complain about the neighborhood and/or the high crime rate, and issues related to the area of Iverson mall. Well, those issues and that crime is primarily isolated to that area and those people involved. Passport is located within an autopark that is both monitored and patrolled. Think about the investment sitting there! Further, the Metro Green line is nearby as well as several Federal facilities.. in essence, although you may not see it, there is a presence of law enforcement in the area. I would agree also that it's safe.

Not a sermon, just a thought...

Paul
    Paul V.
    NCC Concours Chair Emeritus (1991-2004)
    So many cars..so little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by onboost View Post
    Keep in mind also, that some dealers see the club as only being concerned with discounts and the use of their equipment and are thus less inclined to open their bay doors to support things such as DIY. This is further exasperated when members show-up, bringing their own parts, and buy nothing from the dealers parts dept.. which in some cases is open that day to support the club activity being hosted. Don't get me wrong..bringing your own parts is clearly understood when we're talking about items not normally supplied by the dealer..etc. However, if you're changing stock brake pads, oil filters, wipers etc.. it may go a long way to purchase these items from the hosting dealer at the club discount.
    Its my understanding that when we hold DIYs at BMW dealerships, buying parts from them is mandatory. obviously, with the exception of non-OEM, aftermarket parts.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    Its my understanding that when we hold DIYs at BMW dealerships, buying parts from them is mandatory. obviously, with the exception of non-OEM, aftermarket parts.
    This is true, however I believe that there are some dealers/management out there that have been slow to forgive past faults.

In moving forward the club should probably leverage the purchasing power that it brings to negotiate with some of these dealers to hopefully get them back on board.
    Paul V.
    NCC Concours Chair Emeritus (1991-2004)
    So many cars..so little time!!

Passport exclusivity?

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    I believe we should just get Passport to signup for both DIYs and another event to be determined at a later date. They stepped up to the plate when we were looking to finalize our 09 calendar. If other dealers wanna play ball, then if we can fit them in, fine.

I'll always continue to ask my contacts at Tischer and Russel to become more involved since I'm there all the time and they've treated us well in the past.
    I agree with comments by Paul, Woody and Steven. I think doing DIY or a social event at Passport is great. The prior owner of my M5 did his mechanical work at Passport and really like their shop. But I don't think we need to run all road tours from Passport, or to have any kind of an exclusive or "flagship" relationship with them. As has been pointed out, other BMW dealers actively support the Club through advertising and pricing promotions (as in Tischer's 20% discount off MSRP for parts for all NCC Members), and it would be foolish not to encourage the continued support of all dealers in the NCC area given the geographic distribution of our members throughout the metropolitan DC area, including Northern Virginia and Montgomery County, MD. We have the largest membership of any BMW Club in the country with some 5000 members (plus or minus) in one of the most affluent regions of the country, and a half dozen dealers serving our region. That creates powerful incentives for multiple BMW dealers to support our Chapter. Don't let us make the mistake of putting our eggs in one basket. Bonbahn
    BonBahn

We are arguing semantics

I, like many other members have travelled over two hours to get to tour starts, DIYs, Socials and other events. There are 5000 of us and we don't all live in the same area. 10 out of 10 times I drive right past Passport BMW and hop on the beltway enroute to whatever event I'm attending. I visited Passport as recently as Friday to pick up some parts. I chatted with a mechanic who had just installed a Dinan exhaust on a 2009 M3 and showed me how mean it sounded. Another tech gave me advice on installing the parts I had just purchased. These people are enthusiasts and the facility is beautiful.

Should we make them our flagship? No. Should we foster a greater relationship with them and utilize the central location to get more of the people not willing to drive as far as I am to come out? Definetly. The reason I love going to DIYs at Convenience Car Care and Martin Motorsport is that the owners and mechanics actually LOVE BMWs and WANT TO HELP US. That is not the experience at every venue or every dealership. When we find people who are willing to work with us; like the guys who Paul got to bring out the new 1 series and X6 to our social and concours events, we should reciprocate.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I think picking one dealer as a "flagship" is irresponsible. Unless Passport is going to donate a gross amount of money to us to be the "flagship", I'm completely against it. 100%.

Make one friend, create five enemies... but this seems to be the way the club is heading.

Am I saying that we shouldn't do events with Passport? Hell no. But should we show favortism to one business? Absolutely not.
    100% on target
    Last edited by ase2dais; 12-22-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Smile Passport BMW sponsorship of the Club

Guys:

I agree with some of the earlier comments that we shouldn't allow Passport to be our flagship dealer. I also feel that we should not have Board meetings at their location, but am not adverse to DIYs, social events, etc. being held there.

In addition, the only two BMW dealers currently advertising in the Club magazine are BMW of Sterling and Passport BMW. I have contacted BMW of Fairfax about advertising in 2009 without success. I plan to contact BMW of Arlington to see if there is any interest or not. I guess what I am trying to communicate is that we should be dealing with those dealers, who are concerned with the Club's best interests rather than those who ignore us.

Dennis Follett

Ok, I'm biased b/c I travel from NOVA to use Passport for my service and Joern did my ED for me. At the last Board Meeting Bob was talking about how he tried contacting dealers for the upcoming DIY season and a few did not have the common decency to call him back to say no they were not interested. Instead they gave hime the run around playing cat and mouse. So all the arguments of other dealers being club friendly is BS IMHO. The two that are the most friendly is Tischer and Passport.
    As far as the neighborhood around Passport is concerned it is safe. Hell crime is everywhere day and night. It is in G'town, Bethesda, Potomac, Burke, Upper NW. It is not like you are travelling through the neighborhoods when you go there. You are on and off the Beltway w/i 60 secs.
    I must applaud Tischer and Passport for taking the initiative to be as loyal to us as we are to them.
    Nothwithstanding my above, I think it may be a bit irresponsible to show allengiance to one dealer. Some people are loyal to Fairfax, VOB, Sterling, and the other dealers. We are after all the National Capital Chapter of the BMWCCA, not the Passport BMW National Capital Chapter of the BMWCCA.
    MY ED TRIP REPORT
    ED @ Welt 27.10.07 l Drop-Off Bremerhaven 05.11.07 l Made Port NJ 26.11.07 l PCD 21.12.07
    2008 E92 335i Barbera Red l Saddle Brown l Aluminum Trim l ZSP l ZCW l ZPP l CA l Nav l HD Radio l 6MT l PDC l 6FL

NCC Tours Chair
    NCC ChapterFest Chair
    NoVa Social Rep

Thread Information