Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Anyone iRacing?

Thread: Anyone iRacing?

Anyone iRacing?

Just curious if anyone else has signed up for iRacing. Very addictive....

See: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/iracing/ for demo.

Unlimited seat time at SP main and Jeff, VIR, the Glen.... No BMWs yet, but still tons of fun.

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

It looks cool.
    Too bad the only desktop PC I use is at work.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Holy crap am I geeked out over this!

This might just be worth it.

I ended up building a PC just to do this, but anyone with a fairly recent CPU should be able to use the software. One of the key characteristics is the framerate of your graphics card. If you're trying to figure out where to spend a little more, it would be in a better graphics card. Here are the system requirements from the FAQ.

What kind of computer will I need?
    In general, the simulation is designed to work on most home PCs currently available in stores. You may also choose to upgrade to a mid-range, dedicated 3D video card.

The minimum specs for a PC are:

System Requirements
    - Windows XP or Windows Vista
    - Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU
    - 128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better recommended) graphics adapter
    - 1 GB system RAM
    - 3Gb free hard disk space
    - Steering wheel and pedals required
    - Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Internet Browser Requirements
    - Firefox 1.5, Internet Explorer 6, or newer
    - Javascript enabled
    - Cookies enabled
    - Flash Player

Internet Connection Speed
    - 56K dial-up at a minimum, Broadband (DSL or Cable) highly recommended. Satellite broadband excluded.

'06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Banned
    Bummer I may have to seriously consider running windows or whatever on my new Imac to try this out.

Dave apker and the collies

So is anyone actually playing this? I'm thinking about signing up, but I want VIR and Road Atlanta courses and I understand they cost extra. I was wondering how much extra.

iRacing

It's very addictive in the same way driver's schools are. Road Atlanta is $25. I think VIR was about the same. Most additional cars and tracks are in the $20-$25 range. You also get several configurations with each course. VIR has six. At Summit Point you get the Jeff, Main Circuit, and short configuration of Main. The more you spend the more you save. (I think that's the old saying...) If you pay for the year in advance, you get a discount over the monthly fee, plus you get a credit toward cars or tracks. If you are also an SCCA member, you get a significant discount on the annual fee. (You listening CCA national?...) If you buy three additional items at once you get 20% off. I rationalize it by thinking that for less than a day at the track, I get a whole year on 12 tracks with 7 cars.

'06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Thanks so much for the info. Are you able to drive the tracks without racing? Right now I'm not that interested in competing. I really just want to become familiar with the tracks that I'll be driving in driving school. Can I drive any track that I "own" anytime I want?

Also, what steering wheel and pedals do you recommend?

Thanks again.

iRacing Wheel

Yes you can just lap without racing. You can practice on any of the tracks you own, with any of your cars. You also don't have to race to compete and move through the ranks for higher license classes. Time-trials (single car sessions) count toward the competition requirements to advance. You can also practice and qualify with others on the track for points without racing. Sometimes it's good to be on the track with others just to see different lines, especially if you haven't driven the track before.

I have a logitech Driving Force GT wheel. It's about $100. You can go all-out with a G25 Racing wheel, but expect to spend about $300.

'06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Thread Information