Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
DIY question

Thread: DIY question

DIY question

how much time is allocated per person on the lift?

I would like to put a new oil pan gasket on my e30, and dependent on time, put in some new motor mounts.

That requires a fair amount of work, given that you have to drop the front subframe. IMHO, it's not really a good task for a DIY session.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Way too much time and too many chances of error for a DIY IMO.

Cool

The amount of time a lift is needed is solely based upon the size of the facility as well as the number of members at the event. We have had some DIY's in which an individual has had a single lift the entire event, but that's the exception. Generally we like to try to keep the lift time to no more than half the DIY total time. In the case of larger facilities that can be anywhere from 2.5 hours to 4.0 hours. I would suggest you choose one of the jobs per event to insure you get enough time to complete at least a single task. I hope this answers your question. The next two DIY's are the more popular as well as offer the greatest amount of lifts. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    That requires a fair amount of work, given that you have to drop the front subframe. IMHO, it's not really a good task for a DIY session.
    I was thinking about doing it this way which does not require dropping the front subframe.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...92&postcount=1

If its going to take too long, ill just do it at home.

i could always install my brake cooling ducts and swaybars instead.
    Last edited by profbooty; 10-27-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by profbooty View Post
    I was thinking about doing it this way which does not require dropping the front subframe.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...92&postcount=1

If its going to take too long, ill just do it at home.

i could always install my brake cooling ducts and swaybars instead.
    That method pretty much requires that you do it at home - why go to a DIY for a technique that pretty much forces you to not use a lift, unless a tranny jack is available. Moreover, why the heck would you want to put all that effort into not dropping the subframe when you need new engine mounts?

I mean, if you've got real experience with that and know what you're doing, and don't lose anything, AND you have both an impact gun and a butterfly impact, you can do this in very little time. But it's not a good thing to do at a DIY. Why work under pressure?
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I have been to a DIY where a member changed out their motor mounts on a e46. It did not take an extremely log time and their were a few people that gave him a hand, as well as a shop tech.
    With that siad I would as Zach (Zchild)(DIY co-coordinator and chapter VP) has stated to wait until a DIY is at a shop where lifts are plentiful. This way you won't feel rushed or like you are holding others up from getting their jobs done. Usually DIYs at Convenicnece Car Care, at dealership and there is one, more shop that I can't think of the name have plenty of lifts.
    MY ED TRIP REPORT
    ED @ Welt 27.10.07 l Drop-Off Bremerhaven 05.11.07 l Made Port NJ 26.11.07 l PCD 21.12.07
    2008 E92 335i Barbera Red l Saddle Brown l Aluminum Trim l ZSP l ZCW l ZPP l CA l Nav l HD Radio l 6MT l PDC l 6FL

NCC Tours Chair
    NCC ChapterFest Chair
    NoVa Social Rep

Motor mounts are nothing on an E30 - nothing compared to a pan gasket replacement on an installed engine. Undo the nuts, jack the engine up, remove old mounts, insert new mounts, tighten the nuts.

Maybe do the mounts at the DIY and save the gasket for the "driveway hack" session.
    Scott Lowrey

Thread Information