Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Air Bag Light

Thread: Air Bag Light

Air Bag Light

Hey everyone,

The airbag warning light stays lit on our 96 328i (120K miles). A quick search says that sometimes its caused by the front pass side seat belt receiver. I sprayed electrical contact cleaner into both driver and pass side receivers but that did nothing.

I assume there's got to be a code stored in the computer for this fault. Does anyone have a code reader to diagnose the issue? Would the bubbas at Adv Auto Parts be able to use their code reader for this?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Rich Franco
    04 330Ci ZHP Coupe
    97 328i
    Formerly:
    86 533i (aka Abe Lincoln)

Quote Originally Posted by turbo23dog View Post
    Hey everyone,

The airbag warning light stays lit on our 96 328i (120K miles). A quick search says that sometimes its caused by the front pass side seat belt receiver. I sprayed electrical contact cleaner into both driver and pass side receivers but that did nothing.

I assume there's got to be a code stored in the computer for this fault. Does anyone have a code reader to diagnose the issue? Would the bubbas at Adv Auto Parts be able to use their code reader for this?

Thanks,
    Rich
    The codes are stored until cleared from the SRS computer. And no, Bubba at the local autoparts store cannot reset it. Not sure where you live at, but if I can dig my code reader out of the abyss (garage), you're more than welcome to stop by and I'll reset it.

Hey Rich,

Come to the open house at RRT this Saturday and I'll read and clear your airbag codes for you. Ask for me.

Bruce
    RRT Racing Crew Member

Bruce,

I'll look for you at RRT Open House Saturday.

And thanks Jonathan.

Rich
    Rich Franco
    04 330Ci ZHP Coupe
    97 328i
    Formerly:

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
    Rich
    we have several customers who have suffered with the same fault. there was an issue with the latch. to get rid of the fault you need a new latch, the most recent revised latch, the fault is due to the circuit board in the latch not the contacts. the common fault with the front seat latches, on e36's, is the firing circuit i forget the actual code. to make you feel better, almost every e36 we service has had this fault. the new latch, from bmw, is $114 list and it takes about an hour to replace. you need software to raed and erase srs faults, generic obd tools don't work.

Hey everyone,

Thanks,
    Rich
    Another common fault is the passenger seat mat.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

We read Rich's SRS codes on Saturday, it is indeed the driver's side seat latch.
    RRT Racing Crew Member

I'm having a similar issue. I replaced the front window motors & regulators on my '01 325i, and of course the airbag light tripped when we removed them. The airbags are safely back installed, but from what I've read the BMW specific tool is required to do this. Does anyone live nearby Chantilly/Fairfax that might be able to help resolve this issue?

Much thanks in advance.

Alternatively, I was behind a Black/Black E46 Wagon that had some very clean work done to it on Rt. 50 the other day, license plate "MY DAILY." Anyone ever seen this before?

I can clear your codes for you, we just need to set up a time to do it. You can come check out the shop and race cars while you're here. Give us a call at 703-661-4222 and Todd can get you set up with me.

Bruce
    RRT Racing Crew Member

I too am suffering from an intermittent Airbag light. However, I am also seeing the low coolant level and the service engine soon warning lights go on and off. I've checked my coolant - it's fine. The car is operating normally, but my dashboard is a veritable light show. Any suggestions?
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks to Bruce and all the guys at Road Race Technologies for resetting my air bag light. I waited a few weeks to post any follow up expecting the light to come on again but so far, I"ve been lucky and the fault has not returned. Bruce gave me the information to order the replacement parts and I'm taking a wait-n-see approach before ordering the part.

Funny thing is, like the poster above, I also have the low coolant warning on the computer several times a week even though the coolant level is full. This has been happening for over a year now and I assumed it was a sensor in the coolant tank going flaky but wonder if this is coincidence or not.

The RRT Open House event had some really nice cars in the shop and they put on a really nice lunch too.

Again, thanks to all.
    Rich Franco
    04 330Ci ZHP Coupe
    97 328i
    Formerly:

RRT - Bruce & Todd

I came on here to Thank Bruce and Todd down at RRT, only to see that TurboDog did it already. So, at the risk of sounding off too loudly about RRT, let me just say Thanks for helping diagnose the airbag codes and clearing them out. You guys know your stuff, and the shop is a blast. I've been looking at M3's and M5's in the area all day today, can't get them out of my head.

Thanks again.

Bill

Thread Information