Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Paint Touch Up Recommendations -- Pen?

Thread: Paint Touch Up Recommendations -- Pen?

Paint Touch Up Recommendations -- Pen?

I need to repair the bumper of my e90, took a small (1/8" wide, 4 inch long) scratch in the garage at work.

I found a paint pen on the web (http://www.expresspaint.com/productc...&idCategory=20).

Any thoughts, suggestions, practical experience?

It sounds like I need to use the primer, than the color paint, then the clearcoat. Sounds like a lot, but I do want to get it right.

Thanks!

you can get touchup paint at any dealer (Tischer will prob be the cheapest). that way you'll be guartenteed a color match and it comes with clear coat
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

http://www.drcolorchip.com is what the folks on m3forum say is by far the best option. If you go with the paint pen, make sure you also buy langka.

Otherwise, if you just use the paint pen or touch up paint, the "repair" will look worse than the scratch.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    you can get touchup paint at any dealer (Tischer will prob be the cheapest). that way you'll be guartenteed a color match and it comes with clear coat
    I was just at Tischer for the DInan Oil Cooler install, and they didn't want to repair the scratch, and didn't suggest that I get the paint from them.

I made an inquiry of Evan to see what paint repair items he has, he hasn't responded yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    http://www.drcolorchip.com is what the folks on m3forum say is by far the best option. If you go with the paint pen, make sure you also buy langka.

Otherwise, if you just use the paint pen or touch up paint, the "repair" will look worse than the scratch.

Thanks, that's a very helpful suggestion. That website actually has a link to an article in the Wall Street Journal that evaluates some of the products, and mentions the Langka product as well. http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...792F39BC7C7%7D

At this point, I think I'll go with the Dr. color chip kit, and the langka as well.

Thanks!

IMHO, it's really an either/or. Langka is meant to be used with a touchup pen, the drcolorchip kit provides everything. You don't mix langka with the drcolorchip kit.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I just ordered the Dr. Colorchip for my wife's light silver IS250. I'll post pics of it when I'm done. According to Dr. C's website, light colored cars are the toughest to get right. Metallic, in my experience, is also nearly impossible to make look good when touching up. This will be a pretty good test of their product.

It should be in by the middle of next week as they're in FL.

-George

What traction control?

Sorry it took so long to respond.

I used the Dr. Colorchip and was very pleasantly surprised. It's NOT perfect, but it does seem to have taken about 40,000 miles off the front of my car's paint. It's MUCH smoother than before. I had two really bad spots and though it didn't do a perfect job with them, it is much better than before. I think with a second application the gouge in my hood can be fixed completely. I didn't take pics, but I have another set of paint for my wife's lexus. When I do her car, I'll post up some pics and give more detailed info on my take to the process. In the meantime, if you're thinking of using it, just send me a PM and I'll give you the skinny over the phone or e-mail.

What traction control?

I ended up using the BMW factory supplied paint, and the lagka blob eliminator as well.

I think I rubbed too hard with the langka, I took off too much of the paint. But, it still looks better.

I'm going to put another thin application of paint on tonight, and let it sit overnight and then langka (lightly) in the AM. Should be OK then, and ready for a seal.

No pics, not brave enough for that!

Thread Information