Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
318i Trunk latched - won't open

Thread: 318i Trunk latched - won't open

318i Trunk latched - won't open

I recently got a 1995 4dr 318i (my first BMW) and the trunk is closed. The key fits, the cylinder turns fine, 9 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock positions are easy to get to. Its not sticky or stiff. When you turn the key from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock you can hear something sliding in there near the lock. Maybe a rod or mechanism of some kind?
    But no matter what position its in, pushing the button in accomplishes nothing.
    You can't open the trunk.

There weren't any kind of remote key fobs with the car, just 2 keys, and both work fine in any lock. The previous owner did some mucking with the central locking system at some point, so I have to use a key to open the front doors directly.

At first i thought it would be a fairly easy job - so I pulled the back seat and there is a very small access hole into the trunk - maybe for cars that got the ski-bag option? Anyway - I can see in there with a flashlight, but its a small hole so I can't actually reach into the trunk very far, and haven't had any success otherwise.

One website said to take it to the dealer and they'll pull the rear plate and drill their way in (!) but I hate to go that route if there are any alternatives.

Ideas anyone?

Edit 2PM - I found a dead 5a fuse (#7) under the hood - replaced it and that got central lock system working. Key the driver's door and it sounds like all the door locks cycle. I can hear a motor (solenoid?) freewheel in the trunk, but it still doesn't open the trunk, either with or without the key.
    Same thing in the trunk lock, it will lock/unlock the doors and such, and I hear the solenoid in the trunk whirr, but when I push the trunk button it goes in and nothing happens ...sigh.
    Last edited by thewebgal; 09-12-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Exclamation Mystery Trunk

Not to be an alarmist , but in this day and age if you have purchased a car and have not been able to access the trunk, you might see about visiting a friend who works at a secure agency (or see a police department), and arrange to have one of their trained sniffing dogs have a sniff at the trunk.

This is probably way, way off base; however you don't want to be stopped in a random security inspection, and have a trained sniffing dog or robot give the "Look here Boss!" signal.

Around Washington it would be very easy to arrange a test, as opposed to in East Overshoe, Nebraska.

Cheers,
    DCBub

Frankly, I'm not driving the car around until I can open the trunk - legend has it that a spare tire may be in there!
    As to your tips - well - I can see in the trunk through the ski hole, and there aren't any wacked wiseguys back - nothing like the glowing nuclear core that was in the trunk of the car in Repo Man!

Anywho - I managed to reach in with a steel strap and pop the trunk carpet loose - then pried it up out of my way with a stake from the garden while I worked ...

I can see the lock mechanism and everything, but its like the rod that supposed to go down to the latch came off the latch off or something - it seems loose.

I tried a 10mm socket and ratchet with a loooooong stack of extensions but I can't turn the bolts on the lower latch to remove it either.

Checked with the dealer today - they want $500 to resolve the problem !!!
    Sounds like they simply don't want to deal with it and have overpriced the work to discourage me ...
    Really, how long does it take to drill an access hole in the trunk lid??

I hate to say it, but it sounds like its time for ME to DRILL an access hole from outside! (sigh)

Last edited by thewebgal; 09-17-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Thread Information