Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
need new jack for my e30

Thread: need new jack for my e30

need new jack for my e30

my crapsman floor jack has finally bitten the dust (i.e. it leaks jack oil and scares the crap out of me every time i try to lift my cars) and i am looking for a quality replacement for this. i'd like to spend around $200 and am looking for around a 2 ton capacity.

does anyone have any suggestions about what brand to buy? and if so, where to get it locally, if possible? i'd rather buy it from a local brick and mortar store if i can, instead of ordering it online and paying for shipping.

thanks,
    jim

try Harbor Freight...

Aluminum Racing Jacks

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...Jack&Submit=Go

U.S. General
    91039-8VGA
    $95.99

or

U.S. General
    40105-3VGA
    $169.99

I've got the 91039 and it works just fine.

what craftsman jack did you have? my craftsman aluminum jack works fine, except the wheels could turn better and more quietly. but my old small steel jack from craftsman was crap

Quote Originally Posted by Scany View Post
    what craftsman jack did you have? my craftsman aluminum jack works fine, except the wheels could turn better and more quietly. but my old small steel jack from craftsman was crap
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer_fahrer View Post
    Aluminum Racing Jacks

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...Jack&Submit=Go

U.S. General
    91039-8VGA
    $95.99

or

U.S. General
    40105-3VGA
    $169.99

I've got the 91039 and it works just fine.
    I'm with Bimmer fat on this one. The HF jack is a staple at the track. They are a favorite with every club I play with. I have had mine for about 5 years and my only issue is it corroded a bit due to living on the porch. I massaged it with some Amsoil MP and steel wool and it is like new. Even letting the Blinkens borrow it has not destroyed it ;o)
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

thanks for the input. i'm more than a little gun shy about buying anything from harbor freight because anything i've ever bought from them has been absolute crap. i'll take another look at this one, though.

thanks again,
    jim

There must have been (2) HF jacks.
    One broke pretty quickly. The saddle would break.
    The other I guess works.

I've been happy with my aluminum Craftsman.
    Just need to bleed the fluid each year and it squeaks.
    Other than that, it's last for +4 years so far.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

I use the Torin Big Red Aluminum Low Profile at the track and for small jobs in the garage. I think I got it from Northern Tool (but I don't see it there now). Like all sub-$100 jacks, it's made in China. Probably exactly the same as the HF unit.

When I blew a trailer tire on the freeway, I was mildly surprised when this jack successfully lifted the trailer -- with my car still on it. The short length is good for traveling, but not so good for high lifting. I'm happy with it.

In the garage, I generally use the big steel Craftsman 3 ton. It's a pig but the weight is reassuring. And it's got pretty good height.
    Scott Lowrey

Quote Originally Posted by beckley View Post
    thanks for the input. i'm more than a little gun shy about buying anything from harbor freight because anything i've ever bought from them has been absolute crap. i'll take another look at this one, though.

thanks again,
    jim
    harbor freight...when you absolutely, positively need it to work.....once.

that said there were two hf jacks in circulation. one under $100, one just over. the cheap one was a pos. i have been using one of the other ones as my track jack for 5 years. works great.

Thread Information