Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
RA1 vs Kumho Victoracer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RA1 vs Kumho Victoracer

RA1 vs Kumho Victoracer

Radial Tire is about an hour from my house and I can get the Kumho's locally. How do these compare?
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Toyo doesn't make the RA-1 anymore... it's replacement is called the R888.

Yeah, I know, but i want to compare with what I have experience with. Also, there is inventory left for the sizes I am looking for to go on the Porkchop.

Anyone know anything about Avons?

I am told they are Uber cheap R tires.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    Toyo doesn't make the RA-1 anymore... it's replacement is called the R888.
    Well, that's not right as I'm picking up some new 275/40-17 RA-1 tires this afternoon.

Although the RA-1 will be phased-out -- reportedly next year, they are still available in almost all sizes.

If in doubt, speak to Paul Moorcones at Radial.

Neil

One tire that is offered in my required size is the G-force R1. Anyone know if this tire is like the R1 of years past with camber built into the sidewalls? If so, that would be freaking sweet! I had one set of the original R1s on my M3 before they became unobtainable and it would be cool to have them as my 1st set of R compounds on the Porkchop too.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Many of us morn the passing of the old BFGoodrich R1. That was a great DE tire for those of us that were camber challenged.

Neil is correct that the RA-1 is still available and cheaper than the R888. Like the RA-1, the Kumho Victoracer is very old technology. Based on my prior experience with both, I'd say the Victoracer may be slightly faster, but "goes away" quicker and won't give you as much treadlife.

You should also consider the Nitto NT-01. Nitto is owned by Toyo and, other than tread pattern, they are supposed to be similar to the RA-1. I had three instructor candidates on these at VIR earlier this month and was very impressed with them. (Paul will try to get you to stay on the RA-1s) These Nittos won their class on an E46 at the Thunderhill 25-hour race last winter, including some time in the rain.

The Avon R and new BFG R1 are both pretty treadless a la the Hoosier R6 and Kumho 710. Great tires for winning races. Good for DEs in the dry, but only if you have a very fat wallet. And the new R1 does not have the asymetrical sidewalls.
    Last edited by woodym3; 07-15-2008 at 05:23 PM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Anyone who knows anything about tires would choose the RA-1 over the NT-01...if they don't they don't know $hit....this from Paul at Radial. I thought it was pretty funny that he wouldn't give me a price for NT-01's. He makes a strong case for RA-1's...and the R888's for that matter. Something about the Nitto's are intriguing though.
    Last edited by Car54; 07-16-2008 at 05:57 AM.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Good for DEs in the dry, but only if you have a very fat wallet. And the new R1 does not have the asymetrical sidewalls.
    Comparing pricing from Paul and Tirerack (whose prices are matched by Interstate Tire in Baltimore) on the RA-1 and R1 respectively in the sizes I need for the Porkchop:

RA-1 $180 front $190 rear
    R1 $186 front $199 rear

That is a total of an extra $30 for the R1.

According to the BFG website: "g-Controlâ„¢ Sidewall Inserts help resist deflection"
    I don't know if this is supposed to mean this is the reintroduction of the old asymmetrical side wall.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Don't forget Costco for BFG and Michelin.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    Comparing pricing from Paul and Tirerack (whose prices are matched by Interstate Tire in Baltimore) on the RA-1 and R1 respectively in the sizes I need for the Porkchop:

RA-1 $180 front $190 rear
    R1 $186 front $199 rear

That is a total of an extra $30 for the R1.

According to the BFG website: "g-Controlâ„¢ Sidewall Inserts help resist deflection"
    I don't know if this is supposed to mean this is the reintroduction of the old asymmetrical side wall.
    But Tire Rack doesn't sell the RA-1 Toyo. Nothing I've read about the BFG R1 mentions an asymetrical sidewall. Eric Wong, one of our club racers (BMWCCA and NASA) was in love with the R1 last year. I don't know if he's still using them.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Hey guys,

Ive run R1s, R6s, R888s and RA1s. I only switched back to Hoosier this year because they offered a SWEET contingency program.

The R1s seem to last almost forever for me. I had over 30 heat cycles in mine and I was still turning 213s at VIR (normally turn 209-210s).

I havent kept Toyos long enough to know how long they would last, but they seem to chunk up, etc if you dont shave them. IMHO, I dont thik a full tread Toyo would last as long as a BFG R1.

If anyone needs a set of 2454017 R1s, let me know. Ill be taking them off and selling cheap (25+ heat cycles) once I get replacements. Good way to try them out.
    Wonger
    #199 Salazar Blue/White IP/GTS3 M3
    http://www.brakeswap.com
    http://www.roadracetech.com

Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
    Hey guys,

Ive run R1s, R6s, R888s and RA1s. I only switched back to Hoosier this year because they offered a SWEET contingency program.

The R1s seem to last almost forever for me. I had over 30 heat cycles in mine and I was still turning 213s at VIR (normally turn 209-210s).

I havent kept Toyos long enough to know how long they would last, but they seem to chunk up, etc if you dont shave them. IMHO, I dont thik a full tread Toyo would last as long as a BFG R1.

If anyone needs a set of 2454017 R1s, let me know. Ill be taking them off and selling cheap (25+ heat cycles) once I get replacements. Good way to try them out.
    I think that is the right size for my 1995 M3 wheels. If so, please keep me in mind. I am interested!
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Anyone who knows anything about tires would choose the RA-1 over the NT-01...if they don't they don't know $hit....this from Paul at Radial. I thought it was pretty funny that he wouldn't give me a price for NT-01's. He makes a strong case for RA-1's...and the R888's for that matter. Something about the Nitto's are intriguing though.
    Nitto and Toyo are both owned by the same parent company.

The NT-01 and the RA-1 are supposedly the identical "green" tires, using the same carcass and rubber compound. The only difference is the tread.

Paul favors the RA-1 'cause he can do better on pricing.

That's good enough for me!

Neil

The pro of the NT-01's I read was that you don't have to shave them, since they start life as a 6/32, but 3/32 puts them into full slick mode with two rain channels. I guess the gist is that they don't chunk new like the smaller/taller tread block of the RA-1.

Magnetic, do you have RA1 or R888's for sale?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    The pro of the NT-01's I read was that you don't have to shave them, since they start life as a 6/32, but 3/32 puts them into full slick mode with two rain channels. I guess the gist is that they don't chunk new like the smaller/taller tread block of the RA-1.

Magnetic, do you have RA1 or R888's for sale?
    I have BFG R1. But they wouldnt be the right size for MCoupe.

The BFG R1 is a tad wider than a Hoosier 245/40/17 in the same size. Much wider than a Hankook.

Toyo does not make a 245. Only 2354017.

Hopefully I win my VIR race in 2 weeks. That will net me 2 more free Hoosiers. Then I can unmount the R1s and sell em. They should have under 30 heat cycles by then. Will price them cheap, like $100 for all 4.
    Wonger
    #199 Salazar Blue/White IP/GTS3 M3
    http://www.brakeswap.com
    http://www.roadracetech.com

Thread Information