Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
John Shim's custom painted helmet, FINISHED!

Thread: John Shim's custom painted helmet, FINISHED!

John Shim's custom painted helmet, FINISHED!

John Shim is a MD BMW local who was chosen to compete in the Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup ( http://www.vw.com/vwhype/motorsport/...i_cup/welcome/ )
    We had spoken some time ago that if he managed to be one of the thirty finalists, we would HAVE to paint his helmet.

John had a long break between his next race in Portland on July 25-27 so now was the time to get this thing done. We met and came up with a design for his new lid.
    - stars and blue inspired by ex BMW driver, now VW, Hans Stuck
    - the rear design similar to Keiichi Tsuchiya (professional driver from Japan)
    - the Korean flag on the top
    - the Shim family clan crest on the back
    - some red and white stripes around the bottom

So after 12+ hours of sanding, masking, painting, re-masking, painting, masking.......etc, here's the final completed.
    The VW, Red Bull, Castrol and williamdesignworks logos are vinyl decals I produced. I do it that way just in case John picks up or changes sponsors they can easily be removed. Everything else is ALL PAINT!
    I would like to thank Jeff Shaw of Jeff Shaw's Collision Craft for doing an amazing job with the clear coat. You can hardly feel any of my paint lines!

The pics really don't do the helmet justice. It's super bright and sparkly, especially in direct sunlight.

Be sure to check out John and the VW Jetta TDI Cup at the newly opened New Jersey Motorsports Park, Sept. 26 - 28, 2008.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final%20left%20w%20hans.jpg 
Views:	2834 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final%20rt.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final%20front.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final%20back%20w%20hans.jpg 
Views:	1566 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final%20top.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	460  

Last edited by schosports; 07-14-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Banned
    Some of best and most exciting racing at Summit Point was the various VW Rabbit and Golf Cup races in the early to mid 80's. Can still remember 40+ cars coming down the chute in to turn five in the rain. Shame VW lost their way in the US and cut back in their motorsport involvement here. Sadly the current state of VW and their inept BOD makes their survival questionable in the long term.

Dave Apker and the collies

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Some of best and most exciting racing at Summit Point was the various VW Rabbit and Golf Cup races in the early to mid 80's. Can still remember 40+ cars coming down the chute in to turn five in the rain. Shame VW lost their way in the US and cut back in their motorsport involvement here. Sadly the current state of VW and their inept BOD makes their survival questionable in the long term.

Well, at least it's something and it's a great opportunity for a local, young driver to get out there, learn and get some experiance. Who know's where it might take him.
    John is a great guy and I'm proud that I have the chance to help him out.

That's awesome!
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Bill, that's some quality stuff. Looks great.

Alex
    Interrobanged.

TeamWTF?!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schosports View Post
    Well, at least it's something and it's a great opportunity for a local, young driver to get out there, learn and get some experiance. Who know's where it might take him.
    John is a great guy and I'm proud that I have the chance to help him out.
    You still see drivers from the original VW Cup in road racing 20 years later.
    Its a shame VW didnt maintain the series in US. Best of luck to John and hope this just the start of a long successful career.

That helmet looks Schweet. How long does a helmet have to be sidelined to get a treatment like that done? It is cool Jeff did the clear coat for you.

Also, Bill you mentioned that you are in vinyl now. Can you make removable and reusable numbers for events where we have assigned numbers? Maybe magnets. I thought a chunky Maltese cross with 31 cut out of the center would be pretty funny on the Baron.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    That helmet looks Schweet. How long does a helmet have to be sidelined to get a treatment like that done? It is cool Jeff did the clear coat for you.

Also, Bill you mentioned that you are in vinyl now. Can you make removable and reusable numbers for events where we have assigned numbers? Maybe magnets. I thought a chunky Maltese cross with 31 cut out of the center would be pretty funny on the Baron.
    Since I do this on the side (week nights and weekends in between family time) it takes about 4-6 weeks. It also depends on how many other projects I have going. Right now I do have a few other helmets to catch up on but hope to taking new helmets in the Fall.
    Jeff really did a great job of making my work look more "finished". He's a perfectionist so that's why I recommend him and use his services.

As far a vinyl, I could easily make a cool set of magnetic Multese crosses for Baron. Give me a buzz and we can knock it out.

Nice!!!

Thread Information