Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
A little bit of a rant
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A little bit of a rant

RAF Digby, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom

Angry A little bit of a rant

Today I drove from my house in Hanover to my dry cleaners in Odenton (approximately a 10 mile round trip.) The conditions were an easy steady rain. So, I had my headlights and fogs turned on and my wipers on intermittent. On my way there and back I must have encountered anywhere between 100 and 200 other vehicles. Of those no less than 30 (I couldn't distract myself with counting the exact number) did not have there headlights on. I checked the Maryland law and it does require you to have your headlights on when you are "constantly" using your windshield wipers. Now, I learned that you were supposed to turn on your headlights when you had to use your wipers before I was ten years old, and it was reiterated in my high school driver's education class. And no, daytime running lights (a stupid thing in my opinion) do not count. So, what is the matter with all of these bone heads around here. I sometimes wonder how some of these idiots (and I use that word to be nice, I shouldn't say the actually word that I'm thinking of on this forum) even received their driver's licenses in the first place.

This is true, but I do prefer having the ability to clearly see the people that I'm manoeuvring around. I also like not having to guess when someone is making a lane change. Oh, gee, what's this little stick for on the left side of my steering wheel? Could it possibly be a turn signal? Anyway, just blowing off a little steam. I'm intelligent enough to know that no amount of my complaining is going to change peoples' habits. I don't even want to start on the 55 issue.

I'm with you. Coming from Europe where we use headlights all day make things so much better in heavy rain, at dusk, dawn and even in bright sun when seeing cars might be hard.

And I also wonder why my E39 don't have rear fog lights (which I like to use in FOG and during heavy rain on highway) when they are standard on the european models.

You can't avoid hitting something you can't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Scany View Post
    I'm with you. Coming from Europe where we use headlights all day make things so much better in heavy rain, at dusk, dawn and even in bright sun when seeing cars might be hard.

And I also wonder why my E39 don't have rear fog lights (which I like to use in FOG and during heavy rain on highway) when they are standard on the european models.

You can't avoid hitting something you can't see.
    Because someone at BMW got pissed off at the American habit of leaving them on all the time and took them away. Seriously.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I always wondered why dont the manufacturers have the wiper switch also turn on the headlights?

If you can have DRL - why not this?

Agreed, it's the law in many States. I also see a lot of cars with DRL (daytime running lamps) that seem to assume that since they have DRL that they don't need to turn on their headlights lights. The largest benefit to having your headlights on in the rain that your taillights make you more visible to traffic behind you. DRL doesn't turn on your taillights...only your headlights. Since I drive an E30 I tend to use my headlights in low and flat light conditions as well...I'd prefer to be visible

I also wish everyone would use blinkers when changing lanes. Oh yea, and stay out of the left lane unless passing, and stay off the cell phone, and..........

Quote Originally Posted by pranu View Post
    I always wondered why dont the manufacturers have the wiper switch also turn on the headlights?
    My 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee had this feature. When the lights were set to "Auto," they would turn on when the wipers were on and then the lights would turn off when the wipers were turned off. You could disable this feature, if you wanted.

Xoutpost.com - where you come for the information but stay for the friendships

Don't even get me started.

• No lights in the rain (or running lights without headlights)
    • No turn signals
    • Improper gapping for lane changes
    • Blocking view for red light turns by pulling up past the stop bar
    • Blocking the ped crosswalk
    • Driving slow on the left side
    • Slowing or stopping in freeway merge lanes
    • Following too close (especially when a pass lane is open!)
    • Inability to judge closing speeds when pulling out into traffic

I'm surprised at how dim and/or small the running lights are on some newer cars. Get a clue people - they don't help others to see you in the wet.

And, if you choose not to turn on the headlights, make sure your taillights come on with the running lights - it's just as important to see the back of a car, especially in the spray.

Argh.
    Scott Lowrey

Quote Originally Posted by dave_from_Tennessee View Post
    Today I drove from my house in Hanover to my dry cleaners in Odenton (approximately a 10 mile round trip.) The conditions were an easy steady rain. So, I had my headlights and fogs turned on and my wipers on intermittent. On my way there and back I must have encountered anywhere between 100 and 200 other vehicles. Of those no less than 30 (I couldn't distract myself with counting the exact number) did not have there headlights on. I checked the Maryland law and it does require you to have your headlights on when you are "constantly" using your windshield wipers. Now, I learned that you were supposed to turn on your headlights when you had to use your wipers before I was ten years old, and it was reiterated in my high school driver's education class. And no, daytime running lights (a stupid thing in my opinion) do not count. So, what is the matter with all of these bone heads around here. I sometimes wonder how some of these idiots (and I use that word to be nice, I shouldn't say the actually word that I'm thinking of on this forum) even received their driver's licenses in the first place.
    I agree 100% with you. I typically ALWAYS have my headlights on, even in the most sunny conditions. My opinion is that it is such a small price to pay to be just a tad safer. I think that running lights should be mandatory in the states as it's really easy for a silver or black car to disappear in darker, rainy conditions.

Add this to my list of other grips tho ...

Banned
    The govt needs to ban all electronic nannies like traction control, ABS etc.
    It also needs to ban automatic trannies and manual trannies w/ synchros.
    With non synchro boxes we cut down on the number of morns on the road
    although it is tough to eliminate them all.

Also all talking on cell phones even hands free and texting will be banned by the govt. Penalty other drivers are allowed to pull you over remove you from the car and ask behind the left ear or right ear and execute you on the spot with no due process.

Not only do you get rid morons who dont put their headlights on in the rain and cant find their turn signals but you significantly reduce greenhouse gases, bring the price of a barrel of crude down to a a Ben Franklin or less and you destroy the UAW!

Dave Apker

I personally, refuse to talk on my cell phone while I'm driving. You're just going to have to leave me message. I also hate automatic trannies. I think that you should have to take your driver's liscence test on a manual transmission car.

I had to go to the dealership in order to get a new key, don't ask me why, and I saw one of the new 335i hard-top convertibles. Unfortunately it had an auto. I asked the sales rep if he had it with a stick b/c I would like to test drive one. He said that no he didn't. I pointed out to him that the auto trannie was an option, and so why did he not have any with the model standard stick shift. His reply was something to the effect most Americans drive automatics. I refrained from cursing him, and left disappointed. I suppose I'll have to look somewhere else to get a test drive.

I personally, refuse to talk on my cell phone while I'm driving. You're just going to have to leave me message. I also hate automatic trannies. I think that you should have to take your driver's liscence test on a manual transmission car.

I had to go to the dealership in order to get a new key, don't ask me why, and I saw one of the new 335i hard-top convertibles. Unfortunately it had an auto. I asked the sales rep if he had it with a stick b/c I would like to test drive one. He said that no he didn't. I pointed out to him that the auto trannie was an option, and so why did he not have any with the model standard stick shift. His reply was something to the effect most Americans drive automatics. I refrained from cursing him, and left disappointed. I suppose I'll have to look somewhere else to get a test drive.
    ... sometimes the truth just hurts ...

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Also all talking on cell phones even hands free and texting will be banned by the govt. Penalty other drivers are allowed to pull you over remove you from the car and ask behind the left ear or right ear and execute you on the spot with no due process.

Dave Apker

Dave, I'm suprised to hear you want the government to have MORE laws and regulations!

The State legislature in MD pretty much refuses to ban wireless devices while driving. If you're under 18 using a wireless device it is considered a secondary offense (you can't be pulled over for it). Apparently, children aren't as good at multi-tasking with electronic deveices as adults.

Have you ever tried to drive a stick while talking on the cell phone and drinking a mocca-frappa-starbuck-ioato? It's nearly impossible...if you're going to do both, you need to be driving a Chevy Tahoe or something similair...otherwise it just wouldn't be safe.

I
    His reply was something to the effect most Americans drive automatics. I refrained from cursing him, and left disappointed. I suppose I'll have to look somewhere else to get a test drive.
    Don't blame the messanger. Have you ever heard of supply and demand? Just be glad you can still order the 3er BMW with a manual.
    A half-dozen years ago my ex-wife tried to buy a new Toyota Corolla with manual. The dealer had to search the entire mid-Atlantic area before finding one languishing on another dealer's lot.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Don't blame the messanger. Have you ever heard of supply and demand? Just be glad you can still order the 3er BMW with a manual.
    A half-dozen years ago my ex-wife tried to buy a new Toyota Corolla with manual. The dealer had to search the entire mid-Atlantic area before finding one languishing on another dealer's lot.
    Yeah, I know about supply and demand. It still makes so sense for a BMW Dealer to not have one on the lot with a stick shift when that is the standard transmission for that car. After all, we're talking BMW here not Mercedes.

If the auto manufacturers just stopped producing automatic trannies there would so many people that would be SOL, and as mean-spirited as it may sound I would certainly have a good long laugh. You're not supposed to be doing other things while you're driving, and automatics make it to easy for people to do other things. Instead of trying to shave on your way work or some thing equally ludicrous you should be scanning the traffic. I try to look at least five or six cars ahead. Stick shifts more or less force you to be a better driver IMO. You take a more active role in driving, and you must be more in tune with your vehicle. Of course I'm also one those people who see their car as more than just a machine that gets you where you are going.

Thread Information