Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Mobil 1 0W-40?

Thread: Mobil 1 0W-40?

Cool Mobil 1 0W-40?

Can anyone inform me where I might be able to purchase a couple of quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 in the National Capital region. I've checked on-line at both AutoZone and Pep Boys and they don't list it. I need it prior to the 21 June DIY at RRT. Thanks in advance. Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Advance Auto Parts carries it in Virginia. $6.48 a quart. Wal Mart used to have it for about $1 a qt. cheaper, but the last time I checked they didn't carry it here.

just out of curiosity, where do you use 0W?

Quote Originally Posted by Scany View Post
    just out of curiosity, where do you use 0W?
    Seeing as how Mobil1 0w40 is thicker than the (admittedly crap) 5w30, but has a lower pour point, what's not to like about it?

It's also the only BMW LL01 compliant M1 oil.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Seeing as how Mobil1 0w40 is thicker than the (admittedly crap) 5w30, but has a lower pour point, what's not to like about it?

It's also the only BMW LL01 compliant M1 oil.
    I understand the 40 part of it, but wouldn't the oil when cold (0) lubricate worse (in lack of better word) compared to 10W40 for example?

I understand the 40 part of it, but wouldn't the oil when cold (0) lubricate worse (in lack of better word) compared to 10W40 for example?
    Actually, it's complete opposite of your thinking.

The lower the first number, the greater flow at low temperatures, meaning more lubrication and less wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
    Can anyone inform me where I might be able to purchase a couple of quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 in the National Capital region. I've checked on-line at both AutoZone and Pep Boys and they don't list it. I need it prior to the 21 June DIY at RRT. Thanks in advance. Happy Motoring...
    Advance Auto is your friend. If you come down Rt. 50 on your way to RRT, there's an advanced auto in Greenbriar just before where 50 and 28 meet. They open at 8:00 am on Saturdays allowing you to get the oil and get to the DIY by 8:30. (hmm ... does it sound like I've done this before?)

No. At the cold end, oil is many, many times thicker than at the hot end. You want as thin an oil as possible when cold so that it'll pump up to your valvetrain quickly. Your 10w40 would still be sitting down in the oil pan by the time the 0w40 had made it up to the lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    No. At the cold end, oil is many, many times thicker than at the hot end. You want as thin an oil as possible when cold so that it'll pump up to your valvetrain quickly. Your 10w40 would still be sitting down in the oil pan by the time the 0w40 had made it up to the lifters.
    I see! I guess I thought the lower the cold start viscosity the better the car starts when cold, but compromising cold lubrication. Learn something every day

Sorry for "stealing" the thread.

Check Costco too...

So why would anyone EVER use 15W-50 motor oil (my current flavor)?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Check Costco too...

The downside of, say, 0w40 is that durability under high stress conditions is a little more iffy. The more chemical magic they're working with it, the more likely it'll break down some when you, say, run it at the track. I'd rather run 15w50 on track, but it's not a better oil under normal driving conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Check Costco too...

You run the heavier weights, such a 15w-50, in the older cars that have M30 motors. (I believe this applies to the M20 as well.) BMW specified, and most good shops today will still recommend, that if you have an M30 powered BMW you should not use a 0W or 5W oil because it is too light. It won't do any real harm if you watch the level, but you will burn more than you should and you certainly would want a heavier weight oil for high rpm operation.

My e28 535 runs 10w-40 Mobil 1 in the winter 6 months, and 15w-50 Mobil 1 in the summer months. It uses less than a quart between changes, and it has almost 150k miles on it. I used 5w-30 one time, because I had nothing else and needed to get the car sorted for a long road trip, and it burned a quart in 1000 miles. Too much for my taste. Back on the heavier weight, it resumed its minor, normal consumption.

The newer engines are designed for a lighter weight oil, and do fine on it. My e32 740 uses Mobil 1 5w-40, and it runs great. Never burns a drop.

If you have a car with an M52 / M54, or N series motor, I would guess you are absolutely fine using a 0W or 5W oil. For the upper range (the second number), you'll want to look at the chart in the manual.

Hth.

I've been running 0-40 M1 year around in the M3, including HPDEs.

Thread Information