Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Changing belts good for DIY event?

Thread: Changing belts good for DIY event?

Changing belts good for DIY event?

I'm interesting in attending the June DIY, which would be my first. My question is - would changing the drive belts (E39, 2001 525i) be an appropriate project for a DIY event?

This would be the most involved project I've tackled (I'm a bit of a newbie DIY-er), and the opportunity to take it on in a setting with experienced folks nearby is very appealing.

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers,

Adam Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gordon View Post
    I'm interesting in attending the June DIY, which would be my first. My question is - would changing the drive belts (E39, 2001 525i) be an appropriate project for a DIY event?

This would be the most involved project I've tackled (I'm a bit of a newbie DIY-er), and the opportunity to take it on in a setting with experienced folks nearby is very appealing.

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers,

Adam Gordon
    Adam,

I'm not a DIY coordinator, so please do not take my word as golden. But ...

Changing belts is usually a relatively easy endeavor. I think that it could easily be accomplished within an hour or so, and if I'm attending, I wouldn't mind helping you out.

Excellent! That sounds great - thanks.

Adam

Cool

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers,

Adam Gordon
    Hey Adam, you've got one of the more perfect jobs for this limited scoped DIY. This event will be scope limited as RRT only has a total of three lifts available. Please sign-up and participate.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Will do, and thanks. I am looking forward to it.

Separate but related question: my research (Bentley) indicates that I will need two tools to remove the fan (I have also heard that you do not need to remove the fan to do this job). Should I get them myself ahead of time, or are these kinds of specialty tools within the scope of what one can properly borrow from the shop - I am mindful of not wanting to assume anything, particularly with respect to the shop's own equipment.

Cheers.

Will do, and thanks. I am looking forward to it.

Separate but related question: my research (Bentley) indicates that I will need two tools to remove the fan (I have also heard that you do not need to remove the fan to do this job). Should I get them myself ahead of time, or are these kinds of specialty tools within the scope of what one can properly borrow from the shop - I am mindful of not wanting to assume anything, particularly with respect to the shop's own equipment.

Cheers.
    Adam,

There's really no reason to remove the fan to change the belt other than it might make it a tad easier. Don't buy special tools that you'll never use again. I've removed loads of BMW engine fans with nothing more than a big crescent wrench and a 10 mm box end.

Jonathan

I agree with Jonathan, but the tools make it easier. I might make it out there myself and I'll bring the tools if you'd like.

It is very possible also to change belts without removing the fan.

Scany,

That would terrific, if you are able to bring them along. Thanks!

If the 525 is plumbed like the 528, it's surprisingly annoying to remove the fan. Much more annoying than, say, an E46 because of the way they've attached all kinds of crap to the fan shroud. You will need to bring ramps or jack stands as you'll need to get under the front of the car.

(I just rebuilt the VANOS unit in a 528iT, and honestly, I think removing the fan shroud was the most annoying part. Edit: OK, actually stabbing my left index finger with an awl, twice, was probably the most annoying part. But that was my fault.)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    If the 525 is plumbed like the 528, it's surprisingly annoying to remove the fan. Much more annoying than, say, an E46 because of the way they've attached all kinds of crap to the fan shroud. You will need to bring ramps or jack stands as you'll need to get under the front of the car.

(I just rebuilt the VANOS unit in a 528iT, and honestly, I think removing the fan shroud was the most annoying part. Edit: OK, actually stabbing my left index finger with an awl, twice, was probably the most annoying part. But that was my fault.)
    That sounds very promising for me and rebuilding the VANOS unit then But I also agree I've seen easier solution, like my Tahoe that's got a two piece shroud.

Not to change the subject, but did you rebuild a double VANOS? and it's do-able for mortal men? I have a feeling mine's got a bad seal or something and I'm not up to spending $1k for a completely new one.

Scany,

That would terrific, if you are able to bring them along. Thanks!

Seems like I was already set up fro events in PA that weekend (and there's an autoX! what about spreading things out a bit?). You can still borrow the tools if we'll run in to each other before this, or you stop by my garage and pick 'em up. I'm right by Wisconsin/Mass. Ave., where they intersect not far from the Nat. Cathedral.

That's too bad that you cannot attend - but I would be very grateful for the loan of your tools. I work in Georgetown so it should be easy to coordinate at your convenience. Let me know when would be a good time for you. Feel free to email me at agordon@kelleydrye.com and we can sort out the details.

Thanks --

Adam

Thread Information