Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Looking for a new engine

Thread: Looking for a new engine

Looking for a new engine

It's time to start looking for a new engine for the '87 325i Convertible. Anyone know a decent source for a quality used/rebuilt M20 engine? I'm Frederick County, Maryland. Pros/cons on an engine swap vs. rebuild? Engine isn't blown (yet) but I have a serious oil leak in the #4 cylinder that fouls the plug in about 30 minutes of driving.

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

M50 swap time...:-)

Banned
    Your budget versus cost of rebuild versus swap? And your intentions for the car.

I am not sure I would do a M50 swap. Mild port matching, some cyclinder head work etc and maybe going to forged diesel crank?

Dave Apker and the collies

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Your budget versus cost of rebuild versus swap? And your intentions for the car.
    Intentions? That's the tough part. It's our third car, used mostly to haul the kids to the pool and swim meets in the summer. It is (or was until recently) a decent $2000 car so it doesn't make monetary sense to sink any money into it. I could probably part it out on eBay and make that much back. Actually, the most expensive part of the car is the hard-top. I've seen several of those go for more than the same model car.

I found a place in Sacramento (bavarian engine exchange) that sells used engines from $700 and up. Another for $1100. I haven't priced a rebuilt one and don't know what shipping would be like. A couple of local shops quoted me about 17 hours of labor to do the swap. Substitute whatever rate you want, and that doesn't make economic sense so that leaves me in the realm of DIY, sell as is, or part it out (recycle). A fourth option I guess would be to buy another similar car and transfer all the good bits to it and try to sell the rest. The clutch is only about a year old and I just had the shift linkage fixed so it doesn't shift like a fork in mashed potatoes anymore so I hate the walk away from what's been done, but they're just sunk costs at this point.

Any source for used or rebuilt engines around here?

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Have you called Potomac German Auto in Frederick? http://www.potomacgermanauto.com/about.html
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Unfortunately, given your estimate of the value of the car, your choices are narrowed to buying more spark plugs and oil... putting many thousands $$$ into a rebuild or decent used engine swap... or dumping it for what you can get and buying another.

Quote Originally Posted by jhm5 View Post
    Unfortunately, given your estimate of the value of the car, your choices are narrowed to buying more spark plugs and oil... putting many thousands $$$ into a rebuild or decent used engine swap... or dumping it for what you can get and buying another.
    I agree.
    Or, just run 50W in her.
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

I have a motor and trans out of an 87. I live in Baltimore. It might take some coordination, but if you're interested let me know.

Jason
    443-306-3540

Thread Information