Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E28 535i Auto Transmission Question

Thread: E28 535i Auto Transmission Question

E28 535i Auto Transmission Question

The autos suck - I get that. But I wanted a commuter car. Driving to the train today and the Electronic Shift telltale control light came on in the instrument cluster - its the gear with the exclaimation point in the middle. Can I buy the electronic shift control circuit? Or is it a ton of money...3rd gear all of the time isn't so bad right??

Quote Originally Posted by SJS989902 View Post
    The autos suck - I get that. But I wanted a commuter car. Driving to the train today and the Electronic Shift telltale control light came on in the instrument cluster - its the gear with the exclaimation point in the middle. Can I buy the electronic shift control circuit? Or is it a ton of money...3rd gear all of the time isn't so bad right??
    Well ... something's putting the transmission into limp mode. Has the fluid been changed??? I would start there.

If I change the fluid, will that pop it out of the limp mode? The thing that bugs me is that I had the car looked at by my mechanic and he said it was good to go.

I would check the electrical connection for the tranny on the differential. Maybe it's wet or corroded. I've had my auto tranny 535i for 14 yrs and had this problem just once, and that was my fix.
    Check over at www.mye28.com if that doesn't clear it up. Worst case would be the tranny or brain, but someone at mye28 should be able to help.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by SJS989902 View Post
    If I change the fluid, will that pop it out of the limp mode? The thing that bugs me is that I had the car looked at by my mechanic and he said it was good to go.
    I would suggest that as a possible starting point. All transmissions leak some fluid over time. It may be that it's low on fluid. Also, I believe there is a transmission filter under the lower access panel. If you're changing the fluid, the filter is a must. (I'm pretty sure it has a tranny filter.)

Thread Information