Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
87 325ic Tranny/Shift Linkage/Clutch?

Thread: 87 325ic Tranny/Shift Linkage/Clutch?

Hybrid View

87 325ic Tranny/Shift Linkage/Clutch?

Well, I'm having an issue with my 87 325ic, actually I'm having a few issues, but the one I'm focusing on right now is my inability to put it in 3rd gear. This baby has roughly 130K on the original clutch. I can't remember when the last time the tranny fluid was changed. It sounds to me like the throw out bearing is shot (rather loud and continuous whine when the clutch is not depressed). I can shift into all gears, including reverse, except 3rd. When I try to put it in 3rd it grinds, like the syncros are not lining up. I can sometimes get it into 3rd, but very seldom. So, is it the shift linkage, the tranny, the clutch or all three...

Not to insult you, but have you checked the fluid level?

no insult at all, as no I have not. This has not been my daily driver for a while and I have been not giving it the love and care it needs. I will see if I can get it down to the DIY on 12 April, but it may be too late to sign up. Check that next.

On another note I googled "throwout bearing seize" as on another board I was cautioned to replace the throwout bearing before it seized. It came back with:

The classic symptom of a worn throw-out bearing is a whirring or growling sound when applying the clutch pedal, which goes away when releasing the pedal.

In my case the noise is more of a whine which goes away when the clutch is depressed.

Also, I noted this morning while driving into work, that I can get it to go into 3rd, I just have to hold the clutch in, let the revs fall down to idle speed, engage the clutch, there is a grabbing that I can feel through the shift lever (like the lever lurches a bit in my hand) and then off I go in 3rd.

Does this sound more like bad shift linkage or bad syncros? If the synchros are bad does that spell new transmission or should I start by replacing the tranny fluid with Red Line?

Mine was making some whiring noises and was hard to get into gear. Turned out it was low on gear oil. I have at least 135,000 on my original clutch, which I'm changing now, but there is still a lot of material left. I'd check the fluid level first and then flush it.

thanks, that sounds like an inexpensive option that really couldn't hurt. Is it not just a drain and replace procedure? You say flush it. How do you do that?

I figure its best to start with the easiest and cheapest option and see if that fixes it. Sorry, you're right. I shouldn't have said "flush" It is just a drain and fill.

Thread Information