Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Washer Fluid Low indicator

Thread: Washer Fluid Low indicator

Question Washer Fluid Low indicator

Good morning all,

Quick question for everyone, and may sound simple but I get very cautious when dealing with mechanics.

I have a 2001 740iL. About a month ago my washer fluid low indicator came on. It took me about two weeks to get around to filling it up as I dont drive the car that much. After filling it up, the indicator is still on. I took it to a mechanic shop in Maryland and he stated that the sensor in the washer bottle is bad and need changing. I was thinking that something may need to be reset since I took so long to take care of it.

Can anyone tell me if that sounds right that the sensor was good enough to tell me I was low, in which case I was because I used 3/4 bottle to refill, and then all of a sudden the sensor is bad?

I dont want to spend money for something to find out later something just needed reset. Any advice is helpful and appreciated.

THX

Cool

My first and most obvious question is after you refilled the chamber did the light initially go out, or do you have a leak in your tank. Do I understand you to say that your tank is full and your light is still on. In any case, the tank filters usually go bad and cause the fluid to leak out which would keep your light illuminated. Please make sure your tank is still full before you jump to a new sensor replacement. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Thanks for the info. Yes the tank is still full and no leaks are present. The light never went off when I initially filled the tank back up.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by marlonmartin View Post
    Thanks for the info. Yes the tank is still full and no leaks are present. The light never went off when I initially filled the tank back up.
    I would have to agree with the shop that your sensor is malfunctioning, I had a bout with a leak and replaced the tank and sensor only to find that a lower $1.25 plastic filter had broken and needed to be replaced because everytime I filled my tank it would empty with a day or so... Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

yup, probably a bad sensor...or the connector to the sensor is loose. easy to check.

pull the connector off the sensor and short accross the terminals on the car side of the connector. the light should go out. if it does. reconnect the connector to the sensor firmly and check again. light off? you just fixed it yourself for free. light still on? probably bad sensor. check this by opening the fill cap and using a stiff wire to reach in and manually lift the sensor float. if the sensor won't float or the light won't go off when you lift it up, sensor is bad.

if you don't care about having a light on your dash to tell you when to check washer fluid, just pull the connector and leave a jumper wire in. sensor is now bypassed and light will never come on..
    Last edited by mlytle; 03-28-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks all for your input. I will try what Mlytle advised and hopefully that works. If not, I'll decide if I take it in to get sensor fixed.

Happy Motoring likewise!!!

Thread Information