Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Looking for a Z3
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Z3

Looking for a Z3

Need a third car, so looking at convertible Z3s. Anyone have a list of things to look out for? Wanted something the wife and I can have fun in and is a good daily driver. Plus, something I can track later.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Arrow Looking for a Zed3

Paul,

Z3's are a good choice; however you will not be able to take a drophead Z3 onto an NCC driver school - no convertables! You may wish to consider a Z3 coupe, which you can take onto the track. Some of them come with a sunroof I believe.

Cheers,
    Alan

good point Alan. convertible isn't that big of a deal, coupe would be fine. can't I still autox with a vert?

also i've checked ebay and many websites, but does anyone have any specifc advise to finding one?
    plus, any known problem would be nice to know too or what year to stay away from.

Arrow Z3 Drophead to Zed3 Coupe?

Paul,

Donno about NCC autocross rules concerning convertibles; the AX guys should fill you in...

You probably want to talk with the local folks with the Z3 Coupes; we'll have at least one doing his rear subframe bushings at J&F Motors in Alexandria this Saturday at DIY #3. Drop by if you can; if not, we'll try to have you converse by e-mail.

Cheers,
    Alan

You can read about my saga.....http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?t=3565

There's quite a bit of information about the Z3 coupe on the bimmerforums, Z3 section. Or ask here!
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

I would recommend any of the 6-cylinder Z3 roadsters (2.5, 2.8, 3.0 or M). The early 4s did not have rollover hoops and the engine has the profile gasket issue. The roadster can be autocrossed with any organization, but many tracks and/or organizations, including the National Capital Chapter, will not allow it on the track.
    I wish I could afford a roadster to go along with my coupe.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by vjmvjmvjm View Post
    The profile gasket issue was solved before four cylinder engines were placed in the Z3. To the best of my knowledge, the issue applies only to the M42 engine produced prior to 11/93. The Z3 four cylinders are the M44 engine.
    This is true... my build date was 7/94 and my mechanic assured me I had nothing to worry about since he'd seen this issue many times (mainly in the 90s).

I've always wanted an early 4-cyl Z3 to run in ITA or NASA's GTS1, but there isn't much love for the early Z3s and there are quicker/better cars. The brand Harddog makes a track-ready roll bar for Z3s that can permit you to do track events with other clubs.

Arrow Looking for a Z3

Paul,

Isn't it great the responses we get from messages such as you posted!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Munchenman2 View Post
    Paul,

Isn't it great the responses we get from messages such as you posted!

Alan
    And to think the board several years ago poo-pooed all of this.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Well I'm still looking. I've seen a few on Craigslist but I've never bought a used car from someone. Any advice on this, especially since I see more in VA and I live in MD.

Whats the process for getting a BMW tech to inspect the car?

I've seen mention on a few sites about problems with the rear subframe cracking on Z3's. I think I remember seeing that a shop in NOVA designs and installs additional bracing to repair the defect. I can't seem to find the thread here, but I remember seeing it.

Bimmerforms has a few threads as well. An inspection by a qualified BMW mechanic may be worthwile.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=402183

27 pages on this thread...the most active posts are just a few days old.

Have you decided coupe or roadster?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by gspot35 View Post
    Have you decided coupe or roadster?
    well, after telling my wife, she wanted some input since she'll use it as a daily driver. what do you think she wanted?

maybe i can find a vert with a hard top

So, no track events for you.....

http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/...et.aspx?KNo=11

That's a pretty good deal..too bad it's far away.

Do you know if you want 240hp or 315hp?

Edit: I think everyone wants an "M" sometimes...
    Last edited by Car54; 03-17-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Edit: I think everyone wants an "M" sometimes...
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Thread Information