Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Diy#2 2008, Ccc

Thread: Diy#2 2008, Ccc

Diy#2 2008, Ccc

Wow. DIY's are an extremely great way to spend an weekend day. Where do I start? The events leading up to the day were, for me and a few other Z3 guys, centered around a project that it seems every Z3 owner should be doing or has done. That is replacing their subframe bushings. This is unfortunately not as simple as removing the old and replacing with a new.

There are several challenges that present themselves before you swap these things out. You will have quite a bit of dismantling under the rear section to do, which is why having a lift and tools available is so important. That's where the DIY came in. What a better way to do this job with the backing of other owners who have experience, a great shop to work in, and tools you might need along the way, oh and let's not forget; the lift.

Once you get the whole tail end disassembled and dropped, now you must remove the old bushings. Some guys will tell you that you can torch them out, but it usually means completely removing the subframe to not toast your car. The other option is to use a specialized tool that removes the bushing in a matter of minutes with no sweat and no fire. Procuring the tool was something that was a significant investment for any one individual. I approached the NCC to see if they could support the cost and have the DIY attendees, who were changing their subframe bushings, rent the tool for their session. After a few conversations with a few different NCC DIY folks, the agreement was made that the tool could be provided. Special thaanks to Alan and Tony for their persistence and follow-thru to get the tool in for DIY #2. Without the tool, the project would likely be a painful, dangerous, and need quite a bit of additional labor.

During the event Joe Brannon attended so that he could walk some of us through the bushing replacement. Without his help, there was little chance we could have pulled it off timely. Thanks Joe for giving up your Saturday, as it was highly appreciated. Jonathan and Ethan, both Z3M coupe owners, also stopped by to throw some wrenches as more than likely their future plans will be to install these replacement bushings.

We were able to get done with time to spare and able to take test drives to check our upgrade. Personally, I think the car takes on a different attitude of road communication and rigidity. All in all, the day was a success for the bushing changers and will likely be the start of many future Z3 bushing replacements.

Again, thanks to all who participated in this event and helped us with getting this tool.

Craig Brickner
    Last edited by Car54; 02-17-2008 at 09:25 PM.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Sounds like a good time. I know the rear subframe bushing tool for the E28s makes all the difference in getting the job done.
    We are so fortunate to have the DIY program - wish I could get free more often to take advantage, or just hang with the gang!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Arrow Diy #2 2008, Ccc

Craig & John,

Many thanks for your comments, especially on the proposed DIY Special Tool Program. We're happy that things went smoothly, and thanks so much to our mentor Joe Brannon for providing excellent guidance.

We'll be seeking official approval of this new DIY initiative at the National Capital Chapter BoD meeting Wednesday.

Cheers,
    Alan

I sure could use a DIY program by me.
    I need to replace my struts on my E30 and now see I need to replace my valve cover gasket on my M52. Oil around the spark plugs.
    Easy jobs when you have someone looking over your shoulder.

Many of you know how lucky you are.
    To those who never took part, come out and see what it's all about.
    And if you are not a DIYer, think about using these shops that give us their facilities.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Diy #2 2008, Ccc

Craig,

Would you mind if I ran this as a letter to the editor in the May/June dB? If that's cool, send me your member number off-line.

db-editor<at>nccbmwcca.org

Thanks man, I'll be calling you, Jonathan, and Tony when I'm ready to do the RSBs on my iX!

Cheers!

Rob
    1988 325iX
    2001 325Xi Touring
    1982 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Munchenman2 View Post
    Craig & John,

Many thanks for your comments, especially on the proposed DIY Special Tool Program. We're happy that things went smoothly, and thanks so much to our mentor Joe Brannon for providing excellent guidance.

We'll be seeking official approval of this new DIY initiative at the National Capital Chapter BoD meeting Wednesday.

Cheers,
    Alan
    Alan,

I'll be there tonight if you need me to say a couple of words on how beneficial the tool is.

Jonathan

Thread Information