Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Summer Tires 2008
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Summer Tires 2008

Summer Tires 2008

I've received some helpful suggestions on some other message boards, but I thought I'd spark a debate here too...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice, cheap summer tire?

I've run the Hankook RS-2 as my summer tires for the past 3 summers, and I like them. I want a tire that is no more than ~100 per tire and will do well in the rain. It'd be nice to have one that isn't too loud on the interstates also... I don't plan to autocross/track these tires, but it'd be nice if they could do double duty when I change my mind likely around June.

Any other options aside from these?
    Hankook RS-2 again
    Toyo T1R
    Kumho SPT
    Dunlop Direzza Z1
    Bridgestone RE-01R

My size is 225/50/16 or 225/45/17 for reference. Thanks!

No new suggestion, but a +1 for Toyo TR1's. I have a set on now and love them. Great dry, Great wet!!!!

2004 330Ci

I love my Toyos too.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

i have Toyos for my 335i and X5, but they're not going on till the spring. For the price they are pretty good handling, although they tend to get kinda loud after 12k miles (i'm on my 2nd set of Toyos on the X5).
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Has anyone tried any of the other tires I listed? Any other summer tire suggestions?

If I get 8k miles out of my summer tires, I'm delighted.

Steven, have you used the T1Rs for any rainy track days?

RE01Rs
    -Josh
    2002 BMW M3

Banned
    Toyo Open Country H/T's! they work great in the wet and dry and hold up well crossing fields and on dirt and gravel roads.

I would also look at what Yokohama has to offer.

Dunop's are just awful.

My top two choices would be from either Toyo or Yokohama.

And see Sam or Paul at Radial Tire!

Dave Apker and the collies

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    Steven, have you used the T1Rs for any rainy track days?
    No, but I'm sure they would be good. I only needed two tires so I put the T1Rs on the front and still have plenty of tread on the T1S on the rear. I'm still using RA1s for the track.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I don't plan to autocross/track these tires, but it'd be nice if they could do double duty when I change my mind likely around June.
    Honesty ... I love it.

Get the Toyo's.

Any other options aside from these?
    Hankook RS-2 again
    Toyo T1R
    Kumho SPT
    Dunlop Direzza Z1
    Bridgestone RE-01R
    Hankook RS-2: No experience
    Toyo T1R - I had a student using these on his E36 M3 in the rain at VIR a few years ago and was amazed at how well they performed. They're a bit more than $100 though, aren't they?
    Kumho SPT - A VW GTI equiped with these won its class in the 2006 Shenandoah Red Line Time Attack (in the dry). They just don't look like an "ultra performance street tire".
    Dunlop Direzza Z1 - An Oktoberfest participant in Texas this past September used these to a class win in the autocross and said they were great in the drivers school. I would look at the reviews posted on Tire Rack's website.
    Bridgestone RE-01R - We used these on the 2006 One Lap of America and they did great until it rained and temperatures dropped into the 40s. In those conditions they sucked. I was still impressed with their performance and price enough to purchase them for my M Coupe a year ago.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Are the Toyo T1rs in the same "class" as Falken Azenis 615 and RE-01Rs? I was running Kumho MXs last year and liked them, I think they performed very well on track. This year I am on the fence myself as I'm due for a new set. I'm intrigued by the Direzza Z1s, $130 for 235/40/17, about the same price one would pay for the Azenis 615s. The RE-01s are about $180 a piece, so substantially more expensive.

I think the T1R is a slightly lower end tire. Otherwise, Toyo wouldn't be showing an R1R tire up on their website. Now that looks like a nice competitor to the RE01R.

The T1R replaced the T1S.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    Are the Toyo T1rs in the same "class" as Falken Azenis 615 and RE-01Rs? I was running Kumho MXs last year and liked them, I think they performed very well on track. This year I am on the fence myself as I'm due for a new set. I'm intrigued by the Direzza Z1s, $130 for 235/40/17, about the same price one would pay for the Azenis 615s. The RE-01s are about $180 a piece, so substantially more expensive.
    T1R's are no where close to RT-615's.

I had the honor of starting the Summer Tire 2007 Edition thread - and the consensus that I got then for my daily NON AutoX (yet) driver was the Toyo T1R - which I must say has been a very good tire to me.

I was partial then to the Goodyear Eagle F1s - but due to them being in short supply I went with the cheaper (not cheap) Toyo's and I am very happy and thankful to this board for recommending them as they have felt very nice on the road and given me the fairly secure feeling that they like to stick to the road!

I can't wait for April to switch out of my Dunlop Winter Sports back to the Toyo's.
    Last edited by pranu; 02-15-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Thread Information