Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Auto Detailing

Thread: Auto Detailing

Smile Auto Detailing

I am a new BMW owner and I will be detailing the car myself. I wanted to get recommendations as to cleaning, washing, waxing products. If you used something and it was great or horrible please let me know. Thanks a bunch !!

I've always used Meguirs products. Never been dissapointed.

Mother's clay bar + Meguiar's Three step wax once per year... my car still looks acceptable to me. It's not going to win a concours, but it's usually still cleaner/shinier than 97% of the cars on today's roads.

I use Blue Coral car wash and Eagle One spray-on wax between normal wax treatments about 5 times per year.

I could go on all day about different products. Give me some info on the car and what skills you have as well as a budget and I can recommend some things for you.

Menzerna for all your polishing needs...and Full Molecular Jacket for sealant. Menzerna > *
    -Josh
    2002 BMW M3

Hes going to be doing this by hand. So I dont recommend using Menzerna.

It depends on how serious you want to go about doing it. You'll need:

a) microfiber towels;
    b) microfiber wash mitt;
    c) good chamois;
    d) wheel brush; and
    e) any type of clay bar for once a year ....

then on to the other stuff.

If you only want to buy stuff in the local stores, then, I would suggest Meguiar's NXT 2.0. That stuff rocks for buying it in the store. I would try and stick with a synthetic wax for durability. I've pretty much tried every single item that can be bought at a pep boys, target, kmart, etc. I have found Meguiar's to be my favorite -- when talking about applying by hand.

If you decide to get a PC 7424 ... then, I would recommend the 3M products -- followed up by Meguiar's ... again, if you are sticking to buying it over the store. IF you want to order the stuff -- then, the sky is the limit again in terms of price. I've personally used Wolfgang, Klasse, P21s, Poor Boy's, and Zaino.

I am a fan of Klasse AIO/SG combo and the Wolfgang series. That's just my preference though. I would visit www.autopia.org or www.autogeek.net -- good places where you can drop $200-300 easily if you are starting out. If you go the orbital PC route, I would recommend getting the 6" lake country pads -- preferably the orange pad -- seems to do well for me. Then, use the grey or white pads for finishing.

The most important steps -- at least to me -- is PREP. In other words, clay bar, with a good polish ... after that -- the waxes 'help' -- but, it's really the prep work that sets a car apart ...

Go Griot's

1) Griot's Car Wash, with 2 bucket system...
    2) Chamois quick dry, followed by microfiber detailed drying using Griot's speed shine lightly on the paint.
    3) For a quick detail, follow up with the Spray wax.
    3a) For an involved detail, do the clay bar with the speed shine step, then paint prep on the hood.
    4) If continuing do 2-3 coats of the fine hand polish, and 1 coat of Machine 3 polish with the orbital. however, just doing 1-2 light coats of Fine Hand Polish is fine too.
    5) Then do 1-2 coats of Best of Show Wax after that...
    6) Finish with one-step sealant.

The Griot's microfiber towels, the application pad system, the removal towels are great.

Griot's stuff is great...easy to use. No mixing, no weird polymers or silicants.
    Last edited by pseto; 02-14-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hes going to be doing this by hand. So I dont recommend using Menzerna.
    Polishing by hand is useless...you need a machine.

I would suggest a AIO paint cleaner (Zymol makes a good one) and then a good wax. You won't remove swirl marks by hand and you'll probably just do more harm than good if you try to hand polish.
    -Josh
    2002 BMW M3

Zymol has worked great for me on dark colored cars. Have been using it about five years now.

I think using a machine will only increases the swirl mark chances and recommend staying away, unless you have done it before.

Sams (and cosco?) has good cheep microfiber towels.

Clay is a good recommendation if never done before.

Jared

Smile Thank you

Thank you to all of you that posted your opinions/experiences with car care products, I appreciate it and am looking forward to some warmer weather to try some of them.

New owner also, great info here. Much appreciated

Clay, followed by Rejex has worked well for me. Rejex is not the absolute best, but it's very durable and easy to apply.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I’d recommend ProperAutoCare (www.properautocare.com), both as a good source for a variety of products, but more importantly for the wealth of information their site provides about how to clean, polish, detail, and otherwise care for your car.

Meguiars is great stuff, as so many have said. I personally use AutoGlym, a UK company that is a supplier “by appointment to” to Her Royal Highness, as well as endorsed by Jaguar, Aston Martin and others. (OK, maybe I’m a snob ) In the end, you’ll find it’s something of a personal choice.

I’ll share a tip I learned just last year. When rinsing the soap off your car, remove the nozzle on your hose and just let the water run out over the car. This does a better job of rinsing and will also make drying go a lot faster, thus helping prevent water spotting.

Have fun & enjoy your new bimmer.
    FastFITZ
    Cayman S

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I've always used Meguirs products. Never been dissapointed.
    X2

Plus Mother's clay bar when needed. Oh and the mini-power ball for the rims.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Thread Information