Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
How do I care for a car with broken fan blades

View Poll Results: How did it happen?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dealer left tool under hood

0 0%
  • No logical explanation

0 0%
  • All the non BMW owners are angry

0 0%
  • It was so cold the plastic shattered

0 0%
  • The engine was so hot in the rush hour traffic the blades melted

0 0%
  • Aliens probed my engine

0 0%
  • My car is upset it hasn't been to a social lately

1 100.00%
  • See reply post

0 0%
  • It was always that way and the CPO inspector missed it

0 0%
  • Vandalism by angry mechanic

0 0%
  • Common occurence. It happened to me too.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: How do I care for a car with broken fan blades

How do I care for a car with broken fan blades

I recently had to raise the hood to add washer fluid. What I discovered has me as well as the dealer baffled. I don't think I have ever seen a broken fan blade without front end/radiator/under carriage damage. I guess it could happen but how is the question. No there wasn't any animal fur so PETA can't come after me for letting some pet sleep under the hood. I've attached a few photos for your enjoyment and if you have a story, theory or other comment feel free to share it. Have a great day wherever you drive!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG 
Views:	393 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	363

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG 
Views:	443 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	364

Name:	DSC_0004.JPG 
Views:	359 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	365

Name:	DSC_0005.JPG 
Views:	372 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	366

Name:	DSC_0006.JPG 
Views:	365 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	367

more BMW broken fan blades

Name:	DSC_0009.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	368

Name:	DSC_0021.JPG 
Views:	354 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	369

Name:	DSC_0024.JPG 
Views:	348 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	370

Name:	DSC_0029.JPG 
Views:	349 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	371

Name:	DSC_0030.JPG 
Views:	384 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	372

Angry Broken BMW fan blades

Name:	DSC_0031.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	373

So, Ever see this before? And to add insult to injury they want to tell me it's my fault. No damage anywhere around the engine compartment to explain the damage.

Banned
    Use the CCA ombudsperson if BMWNA wont pay for it. You have nothing to lose. I personally would blame it on global warming. and Al Gore!

Dave Apker and the collies

Thumbs up

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, my friend but, you or someone who has driven your car did this. I know this because I did the exact same thing to my ///M3 the first (and last) time I drove it to Brooklyn. One pothole was all it took to shear most of the blades off of the fan. Which of your cars is this by the way? If YOU were driving when this occured you would remember the jolt that caused it and the weird noises when you put it in gear (if the car has a manual transmission). Perhaps someone else was driving (spouse, child, brother in-law) and hit a pothole or curb but didn't see any external damage and kept it moving. I know I'm getting all "CSI" over here. That's my 2 cents as Zach would say.

P.S. Over all, there is nothing wrong that can't be fixed in a couple of hours at the next DIY. There is one coming up on 2/16. Come on out and get it done!

Happy Trails
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

One blade on my E30 M3 broke a couple of years ago at VIR. Unfortunately it punched a hole in the radiator. At first I thought a bad motor mount had allowed the engine to shift foward, but that wsn't the case.
    Last edited by woodym3; 02-08-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

That's what my problem was this summer... hit a BIG bump at Ripken, and the fan shroud snapped and bent the blade a little. A new fan shroud wasn't the answer. My motor dropped 3/4" and moved forward 1/2"... I had my motor mounts replaced, and my car is back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    One blade on my E30 M3 broke a couple of years ago at VIR. Unfortunately it punched a hole in the radiator. At first I though a bad motor mount had allowed the engine to shift foward, but that wsn't the case.

They are doing the right thing

Well it's nice to know that after sleeping on my remarks, the dealer has arranged to fix it as a warranty repair.

Jonathan

Fans are overrated. After I replaced the radiator in my '97 M3, either I positioned it wrong or fiddled with the radiator clips wrong, but the fan would catch on the radiator. Having heard of people doing fan deletes (zOMG more horsepowers), I just took the fan off and the car has been perfect since. I don't run water wetter, but I did get the lower temperature auxiliary fan switch. I've been at the track and I've also sat in traffic on 95+ degree days without any problems at all.

I know that doesn't really get to what you're asking, but if it comes down to it, don't sweat not having a fan.
    Drew
    1997 Boston Green ///M3 Coupe

Make sure you check the the fan clutch and see if it is true. I had this happen on my e36 94 and a friend just had it happen on his e46 2002.

When the fan blades broke on both cars the clutch did not run true any more. For both of us, if the old clutch was used it would have broken again. There was a wobble at the nut of the fan clutch. We assumed when blades broke it got caught on his and i know it was caught on mine. Three blades were left and one was jammed in the small coolant line at the top of the radiator housing on the e36.

Not saying it will happen just an FYI. I also dont think the fan is really needed unless you have an automatic in the summer time. I ran all fall winter then spring with out it when it broke.

I would like to second the blamming of Al Gore.

Jared
    Last edited by 87325is; 02-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Thread Information