Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
I6 Ticking

Thread: I6 Ticking

I6 Ticking

I noticed just about every M coupe i see has a tick noise to it, like noisy lifters. since its all of them i guess its just the way the car sounds, but is that really normal? just doesnt seem like it shoudl sound like that.

All M52's and S52's sound that way.

Mine ticks like a tank after running hard.

I've also been told that it's normal.

Only so much is OK

My E36 M3 started ticking after autocross events, then after track events, then it never stopped. Once corner workers started mentioning the noise to me, I got it fixed. Bad lifters. It was a bit over a grand to get them all replaced.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Walka View Post
    I noticed just about every M coupe i see has a tick noise to it, like noisy lifters. since its all of them i guess its just the way the car sounds, but is that really normal? just doesnt seem like it shoudl sound like that.
    Do you typically hear this ticking at autocross or track events? I happens quite often when the M50-M52 and S50-S52 engines are driven hard. It has to do with the hydraulic lifters being starved of oil from what I understand. It normally will go away after several minutes of normal driving. If this is what you are referring to, it certainly is not unique to M Coupes.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

yea its always at autocross thats true. i was just wondering if thats the way they always sound.

if you were to add a trap door oil pan would that help with the ticking? not that i have that problem im just wondering since its starving the lifters. i havent had that problem but then again my engine isnt as big

When I tracked an E39 530i in Norway on a short track, I could hear a definite louder ticking. That's when I asked someone what was going on

Someone also asked me if I had topped of the oil, which I found to be scary and stayed away from. I've also heard too much oil will do bad.

Thread Information