Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Options

Thread: Options

Options

Everytime I ask about suggestions for upgrading my car I get told that the first thing I should upgrade if the driver!! Great, I'd love to; however, I've got a 3.0i Z3. No BMW convertibles in BMW driving schools!??! My other vehicles are a GMC pickup truck and Honda Odyssey - neither of which would be much on a track - so driving one of my other cars is not an option.

Any suggestions?? Rent a car at the track, doubling up with another club member, other driving schools that do allow convertibles. I'm not looking to race, I just want learn how to be a safer driver and get more out of my Z3.

I have done a couple Chapter Autocrosses and plan to do more. Is there an associated school. The events really aren't set up to teach how to drive better - it's just try to go fast and not get lost in the cones.

Quote Originally Posted by KniceZ View Post
    I have done a couple Chapter Autocrosses and plan to do more. Is there an associated school. The events really aren't set up to teach how to drive better - it's just try to go fast and not get lost in the cones.
    Yes. There is a school every year. The link shows the tentative date of the school in April.

Also, don't be afraid to ask someone to instruct you. We have alot of people who have both been autocrossing for many years and are certified track instructors. Just ask.

There are also other area clubs that have schools too. I perfer not to post them up here on this forum, but if you want more info, you can email me at jmthayer@gmail.com.

Someone from the local SCCA region will be contacting you about their Performance Driving Experience (PDX) program. I think the factory roll hoops are sufficient. Their 2008 Summit Point dates should be posted soon.
    http://www.wdcr-scca.org/TimeTrialsP...6/Default.aspx
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    That's great!

Even tough loaner helmats are supplied, where can I get one? And one that fits.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    That's great!

Even tough loaner helmats are supplied, where can I get one? And one that fits.
    So you want to buy your own helmet? Pretty much the only helmet requirement for AutoX (every one that I have attended) is that it must be Snell rated within the last two revisions. Snell ratings are renewed every 5 years.

The following Snell ratings are good:
    SA2000, M2000, SA/K2005, or M2005

Many motorcycle helmets aren't Snell rated, so make sure you're getting the right one.

I buy my helmets from www.helmetcity.com. I personally have the HJC CS-5 which is an open-face. Right now they are doing free two day shipping so you most likely can get a helmet shipped to you for around $70.
    Last edited by mcoupemindy; 01-16-2008 at 03:26 AM.

Hate to take away from BMW CCA, but watch the northern VA corvette club, as they do events at Summit Point for 'verts, since most Vette's seem to be 'verts. The "limit" your top speed to 80...whatever. I did a Cone Killer's driving school with them...It was ran well and cost was great! $125 for a day w/ 4 20 min sessions as well as skills training on the Jefferson Circuit.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

The minimum rating is SA2000 or M2000 for all BMW CCA events.
    I also recommend trying a helmet on at the store and preferably in the car you intend to drive. Also bring glasses if your wear them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    So you want to buy your own helmet? Pretty much the only helmet requirement for AutoX (every one that I have attended) is that it must be Snell rated within the last three revisions. Snell ratings are renewed every 5 years.

The following Snell ratings are good:
    SA95, M95, K98, SA2000, M2000, SA/K2005, or M2005

Many motorcycle helmets aren't Snell rated, so make sure you're getting the right one.

I buy my helmets from www.helmetcity.com. I personally have the HJC CS-5 which is an open-face. Right now they are doing free two day shipping so you most likely can get a helmet shipped to you for around $70.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Talking

KniceZ - Ron Shurie here with the DC Region of the SCCA. I am the Co-chairman of the Time Trials/PDX program for the region, along with Matthew Yip.

I wanted to reply to your post on this web-site regarding participating in high-speed track type driver training program. The SCCA has a program called PDX which we (the DC region) will be holding at Summit Point this year. The schedule calls for four events most of which should be offering the PDX program as well as some Time Trials.

If the Z3 integrated "roll bars" are advertised as roll-over protection in general circulation factory publications AND the top of your helmet is two inches below the top of these bars while wearing a helmet you can participate in them with your soft top car. We also accept street cars with factory hard tops.

Please let me know if you need more information. I can be reached via e-mail here: ron (at) mMysticacres (dot) us.

Hope this is of some help to you!

Friends, let's acknowlege that cars occasionally roll over at High Performance Driving Events. At Summit Point Main Circuit, that is most often when the car enters a gravel trap in a sideways orientation. How much protection do you think Z3 roll hoops offer in gravel? The roll hoops, by the way, are several inches lower than the driver's head. (we own a 1999 Z3)

I personally saw two cars roll at FATT events in 2006. NCC Drivers' Schools had roll-over incidents in 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, and 2000. None since 2000.

The NCC prohibition against track use of t-tops, convertibles and folding metal hardtops in an instructional setting is founded upon concern for the safety of both the student and the instructor. The best place to enjoy a thrilling Z3 driving event is at an autocross.

-Roy
    Chair, NCC Drivers' School Steering Committee

Thread Information