Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Fustrated with drying towels. Need advice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fustrated with drying towels. Need advice.

Fustrated with drying towels. Need advice.

OK, I'm feed up with the towels I have to dry the car off after washing. They seem to push the water around more than anything else, and not soak it up. We tried the microfiber. Which is totally useless. And there is a waffle-ish type towel that only seems to kinda work after it has eventually started to get wet.

I think these towels worked the first few times they were used. Which seems ludicrous that they don't work well now. They are towels.

Of course being 40 or 50 degrees today didn't help

What type of drying towels does everyone use?
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Chamois followed by Pure cotton towel followed by Air Spray for the nooks and crannys.

This is the towel I use:
    http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...PROD&ProdID=55

Detailer's Domain is a sponsor on many auto forums, including X5world.com, Audizine.com, Audiworld.com, and VWVortex.com.

Check them out at www.detailersdomain.com

Xoutpost.com - where you come for the information but stay for the friendships

I use a water blade to remove the bulk of the water before using a waffle-weave microfiber towel (Griot's). Others are available as seen above.
    A chamois will pull the wax off the paint.
    Maybe your towels are not clean or cleaned correctly. Do not use fabric softeners or especially dryer sheets with your towels - they makes them less absorbent. Microfiber should only be washed with other microfiber. Do a search of the detailing boards (ie, Roadfly)for more info on proper care.
    Last edited by John in VA; 12-05-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

I use the Absorber...John VA, are you suggesting that will pull wax too?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    I use a water blade to remove the bulk of the water before using a waffle-weave microfiber towel (Griot's). Others are available as seen above.
    A chamois will pull the wax of the paint.
    Maybe your towels are not clean or cleaned correctly. Do not use fabric softeners or especially dryer sheets with your towels - they makes them less absorbent. Microfiber should only be washed with other microfiber. Do a search of the detailing boards (ie, Roadfly)for more info on proper care.

If there are any remaining contaminants on your paint, using the water blade can seriously damage your paint. I wouldn't suggest those...

As for microfiber towels, how are you washing them? How are you drying them? Using dryer-sheets or fabric soften greatly reduce the lifespan and soak-ability of these drying towels.

Also, before you use a towel, use a leaf blower to blow excess water off the car. It is BY FAR the safest way of removing water as you don't have to touch the paint. Try to remove as much as you can and then use the microfiber drying towel. You might need two or three towels to get all the water.

Finally, trying to dry in the sun is next to impossible. Try to find shade or pull your car into your garage and dry. This will greatly reduce water spotting and hard-water marks.
    -Josh
    2002 BMW M3

I just let my car air dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    I just let my car air dry.
    unless you have VERY soft water, your car must have hard-water spots ALL over it...and those are not fun to remove
    -Josh
    2002 BMW M3

Quote Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
    If there are any remaining contaminants on your paint, using the water blade can seriously damage your paint. I wouldn't suggest those...

As for microfiber towels, how are you washing them? How are you drying them? Using dryer-sheets or fabric soften greatly reduce the lifespan and soak-ability of these drying towels.

Also, before you use a towel, use a leaf blower to blow excess water off the car. It is BY FAR the safest way of removing water as you don't have to touch the paint. Try to remove as much as you can and then use the microfiber drying towel. You might need two or three towels to get all the water.

Finally, trying to dry in the sun is next to impossible. Try to find shade or pull your car into your garage and dry. This will greatly reduce water spotting and hard-water marks.
    Wash, dry, wax everything in the shade, or wait for an overcast day is preferred.

As far as cleaning the towels. Just hot water and the washing machine. No detergent, fabric softener or anything else. They are even hang dried.

The leaf blower scares me a bit. I just see high velocity stuffs flying at the paint. Though filtered compressed air is very interesting.

All in all these are some interesting methods. Thanks
    Supercharged '03 530

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    Wash, dry, wax everything in the shade, or wait for an overcast day is preferred.

As far as cleaning the towels. Just hot water and the washing machine. No detergent, fabric softener or anything else. They are even hang dried.
    I use detergent...its the only way to get it clean...I even dry it in the dryer, I just don't use any additives (dryer sheets, fabric softner, etc.

The leaf blower scares me a bit. I just see high velocity stuffs flying at the paint. Though filtered compressed air is very interesting.

All in all these are some interesting methods. Thanks
    Don't blow the ground Blow from the top down and there's little risk of blowing anything at the paint. It has definitely saved my black paint...my car still looks damn good after 9 months (since the last full detail) and I decided it wasn't even worth it to polish again before the winter...I'll do a coat of wax soon and just wait for Spring to do another polish and save the nm's of paint and clear
    -Josh
    2002 BMW M3

Try also using a sheeting method as the first step of drying your car.

If the finish is smooth, taking the nozzle off of the hose and allowing the thick stream of water to create a sheet over the body of your car to pull all the water off starting from top to bottom. Should only be left with a few drops on the body. You have to do it a couple times to get it right, but it works great after you get it.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    Chamois followed by Pure cotton towel followed by Air Spray for the nooks and crannys.
    What type of air spay do you use? I want to give your system a try. It seems very logical.
    Supercharged '03 530

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    What type of air spay do you use? I want to give your system a try. It seems very logical.
    I like Compressed Air brand! In fact, I have a small production facility in my garage.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Thread Information