Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
VA Emissions test woes? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VA Emissions test woes?

Banned
    Again disconnect negative battery cable and let it sit over night. Hopefully you have the radio and any alarm codes. Reattach cable and drive for few days and try test again

Dave Apker

Smile VA Emmission Test

I don't know what OBD stand for in your message & subsequent replies. However, I have owned a 1998 540 since 2002 & my wife has a 2003 330 and we have never had a problem with emmission inspections. I take both cars to Pinecest Shell (formerly Texaco) in Alexandria. They are close to the Intersection of Braddock Rd. & Rt. 236 (Little River Turnpike). Their phone number is 703-750-2991. You might give them a try if you haven't already found another garage.

Banned
    A service station or dealer performing the emission test years ago could cheat on the test. Now its a little more difficult since the results on sned directly to the DMV.

The guy I knew who would pass any car for a case left where I get my car inspected in Alexandria. I still go there because no one knows about them and there is maybe on car ahead me in line at noon on the last day of the month.

You might want to try another forum where some techs hang out for advice.

Dave Apker and the collies

Still no luck. Fuses are good, Autologic and Peake tools communicate just fine. It just won't talk to the State machine.

Guess it's time to take it to the dealer.

Banned
    Seriously disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and let it sit for a few hours. Reconnect drive for 2 days and see if you still have the same problem. Nothing to lose as long as you have the radio code.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
    Anyone else have issues with emissions test station computers not communicating with your car via the OBDII connector? I, and my mechanic can read my E38 just fine but the emission station's computer fails to connect.

Yes, I've tried multiple emission stations.
    Yes, I have a Z3 that has been at the dealership for 2 weeks trying to resolve this same issue. I will let you know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Seriously disconnect the negative terminal of the battery and let it sit for a few hours. Reconnect drive for 2 days and see if you still have the same problem. Nothing to lose as long as you have the radio code.

Seriously, no radio code.

Quote Originally Posted by dtiner2003 View Post
    Yes, I have a Z3 that has been at the dealership for 2 weeks trying to resolve this same issue. I will let you know how it turns out.
    Which dealer?

I have an 04 530i and I'm having the same issues, when I try to do the emissions the VA system says that the O2 and exhaust diagnostic monitor is not ready yet.I have driven the car for close to 150 miles but no luck yet!!

I took mine into the dealer and they had no trouble reading it through the OBDII port. Of course they showed no faults or errors. They did a complete reprogram of the DME and added several SW updates. Now I just need to run 3 drive cycles and put a couple of hundred miles on it.

I took mine to the Herndon auto care and my car passed the emissions with no problems. I tried doing it at the Shell gas station which is right in front of it but they couldn't do it for the past week and finally I got it done at Herndon Auto Care.

Solution - M, V12 & Z owners need to read this

Finally got the problem figured out - It's the Virginia DEQ analyzer's fault!

There are two types of analyzers in use in Northern Virginia, The ESP unit and the SPX unit. The ESP unit has several software issues trying to communicate with higher end cars. Specifically, if you have an M3 or M5, Z3, Z8, or E38 750, or if you have had the recall campaign no. 06E-A03, BMW Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign to Reprogram DME for OBD Communication done on your vehicle you need to be sure and use a test station that uses an SPX analyzer.

Ask before you let them hook you up!

Fantastic! Thats great information. Thank you very much Slamdunkpro!

Thread Information