Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
VA Emissions test woes?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VA Emissions test woes?

VA Emissions test woes?

Anyone else have issues with emissions test station computers not communicating with your car via the OBDII connector? I, and my mechanic can read my E38 just fine but the emission station's computer fails to connect.

Yes, I've tried multiple emission stations.

Yup! Me. E46 M3 2001.

They had to dyno it instead of the OBD.

Looks like now it's OBD only

really? I got it done last month - over in Herndon.

have your mechanic check bmw for software updates. bmw has had to update some versions of its software to talk to generic emissions stations.

Emissions-

Look into recall campaign no. 06E-A03, BMW Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign to Reprogram DME for OBD Communication.

Affected cars- 2000 to 2004 M Roadster/coupe, M3 Coupe/Convertible, Z8, and M5

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Look into recall campaign no. 06E-A03, BMW Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign to Reprogram DME for OBD Communication.

Affected cars- 2000 to 2004 M Roadster/coupe, M3 Coupe/Convertible, Z8, and M5
    Hmm... very strange - now that you mention it - the only difference between my Emissions inspection this vs. the last time was that I actually DID get the 06E-A03 recall performed on the machine.

So it DID work BEFORE the recall was performed and DID NOT work AFTER the recall...

Very Strange!

I had a discussion with the State today and the answer seems to be that some computers take a long time to fully reset so the VA system will communicate with them. The answer they gave me was basically "drive it for a while, then take it in and see if it passes, if it fails, drive it some more"

No one can say how long it takes, or if there's any way to test the communications other than go to an emissions station, pay $28 and hook it up.
    There are no longer any provisions for an alternative tailpipe test.

What a crappy system

That sucks! Boy did I get lucky!

I guess you should probably take it into a dealer and make sure they take care of it one way or the other.

Banned
    Is your car still covered by the emissions warranty from BMW?
    No BMW is crappy not the emission inspection.

What you may want to do is disconnect the negative terminal of your battery overnight then reconnect and see if maybe this resets everything.

Dave Apker and the collies

The following doc shows the OBDII driving profile. It should be applicable for your car.

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/OBDproc.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Is your car still covered by the emissions warranty from BMW?
    No, the funny thing is the car was purchased by someone in North Carolina in late August and passed North Carolina emissions (through the OBDII) just fine. I bought the car earlier this month, and it won't communicate with the VA computer. My Indy's system can read it just fine, just not the State machine.

Banned
    Emissions warranty is tranferrable and runs 8years and 80k miles. Dont remember for sure.

Dave Apker

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Emissions warranty is tranferrable and runs 8years and 80k miles. Dont remember for sure.

Dave Apker
    Yes, I'm at 82k

I tried to find out if the law changed between 10/1 and this month - and I couldn't come up with anything.

Sorry to be referring to Google cache rather than the actual DEQ site ( its broken!)
    http://tinyurl.com/395k5b

I got mine done at Elden Street Service Center I THINK. Not exactly sure its the one right next to the Shell. And they did it for me without the OBD communication.

ALSO At the risk of being sued for defamation - what I have here is just pure speculation - I have been told that apparently the Shell guy just passes cars as is - and has had to shutdown and restart multiple times.

I can give you more details on the location if you are interested.

I am sure you already have - but do try other inspection stations to see if they will do it without OBD.

Thread Information